FInding Florida Tailless Whips.

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
I've been looking for a while. Nearly 5 years but the only two sites that offer them are insect sales and kenthebuguy +Bugsincyberspace. So recently I've been looking at a website Inaturalist and found that they are quite common in the Florida keys in one park specifically. Any tips on finding them? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Look in rock crevasses. Look under logs and rocks. They tend to go for more humid places

Also what state do you live, if you have to fly, people don’t appreciate someone having a box of bugs on a plane. Also, depending on the state, they might be illegal to transport or have there. In Florida, its legal to collect.

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
I'm fairly certain it's legal to ship to NY as in the local expos they almost always have them for around 35$. As for people being comfortable about bugs on a plane, I might have to talk to the airline company. However, most people are chill with it as I don't bring it out. Last time I brought back a tarantula from an expo in the state back home on the plane. The only problem I have now is if WC Tailless Whip scorpions can adapt to captivity as once in an expo my parents bought me Damon variegatus <edit>. It didn't eat even when crickets were brushing its feelers and it just became more and more sluggish until it died.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
That bill doesn’t apply to inverts. I believe American Airlines only allows cats and dogs. You might have problems with stress. I would put tons of hiding space with a lot of humidity like the Florida weather. Also. I would keep the adults separate for awhile until that eat.

I just found out there are some native to my state so I’m going to collect some. Hope yours do good. Are you going to wait until after Covid to collect?

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I'm fairly certain it's legal to ship to NY as in the local expos they almost always have them for around 35$. As for people being comfortable about bugs on a plane, I might have to talk to the airline company. However, most people are chill with it as I don't bring it out. Last time I brought back a tarantula from an expo in the state back home on the plane. The only problem I have now is if WC Tailless Whip scorpions can adapt to captivity as once in an expo my parents bought me Damon variegatus <edit>. It didn't eat even when crickets were brushing its feelers and it just became more and more sluggish until it died.
Wait I'm confused why not spare yourself the hassle and get one from the expo? Unless you just want to collect them from the wild but you already tried online so that can't be it. 35$ is not bad compared to airline travel. Also at least in my state, I'm pretty sure elsewhere too, for most airlines it's illegal to have any invertebrates on planes because of the "risk/hazard".

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Are you going on vacation and want to collect. Also many airlines alow you to have inverts as long as you label the species and scientific name like the lacy act label. You also have to have them in a deli cup that is taped in a box. also, if you go just to collect, you would have to collect at least 50 to make up for the two plane tickets for round trip and you would make no money. Also, if you are in Florida, I recommend collecting ivory, scarlet, and bumblebee millipedes.

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
yeah. A lot of people bring animals from expos on the flight

Wait I'm confused why not spare yourself the hassle and get one from the expo? Unless you just want to collect them from the wild but you already tried online so that can't be it. 35$ is not bad compared to airline travel. Also at least in my state, I'm pretty sure elsewhere too, for most airlines it's illegal to have any invertebrates on planes because of the "risk/hazard".
No I did buy some and collecting isn't the sole reason for the trip. Its a stop on a vacation to Key West that my family is taking.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I think delta allows pets. Also, another option is collecting and shipping back through fed ex

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
I think bringing the animals on the flight is the only option as this is only a vacation. I'm not devoting this trip to collecting

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I recommend finding a shop that might buy some if you collect a lot. They might not give a lot a money but it might be worth it

Scp682

Arachnoknight
No I did buy some and collecting isn't the sole reason for the trip. Its a stop on a vacation to Key West that my family is taking.
Ah alright makes sense. Good luck and share what you find that's a really ecologically intriguing area.

I think delta allows pets. Also, another option is collecting and shipping back through fed ex
Nope they're headquartered in my city and a year or two ago announced no exotic animals with an emphasis on snakes and tarantulas.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Nope they're headquartered in my city and a year or two ago announced no exotic animals with an emphasis on snakes and tarantulas.
That's what I thought and that was also what was preventing me from planning to bring home live arachnids from a Utah vacation in the coming weeks.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
That's what I thought and that was also what was preventing me from planning to bring home live arachnids from a Utah vacation in the coming weeks.
Yep. Sad times. Delta is known for being pretty sucky actually. They weren't doing well financially so they did a lot of stupid publicity policy stuff.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Please note that just because "other people do it" at shows, does not make it legal. Not sure where in NY you reside, but it is actually illegal to keep arachnids in the 5 boroughs (NYC).

The ONLY one who can tell you what is and what is not allowed on an airline, is the airline themselves, directly. You will need to call the one that you plan on flying with to see what their specific rules/guidelines are. No one else here, or anywhere, can tell you those rules (unless they work for said airline). Anyone that does is merely speculating, nothing more. I recommend getting the person's name (supervisor is best) that you speak with at the airline, for proof should anything arise at the time of flying. Just because you (or others) got away with it previously, does not make it legal either. So unless you have explicit written (not verbal) permission from the airline, then I advise against it.

I know, in the past, some have opted to ship to themselves, when traveling. Please note that it is illegal to ship anything venomous with USPS anywhere in the US. It is a Federal Violation.

Others usually opt for observing in the wild and then purchasing from a reputable dealer/seller (best option IMHO).

Best of luck!

Debby

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I know, in the past, some have opted to ship to themselves, when traveling. Please note that it is illegal to ship inverts with USPS anywhere in the US. It is a Federal Violation.
Agree with this entire post except for that last quoted sentence. It is my understanding given the institutions and companies that I have worked with that it is totally within the law to ship many invertebrates in USPS. What USPS does not allow to be shipped is any arachnids, or anything venomous (including centipedes and assassin bugs). Roaches, millipedes, and the like, however, can be shipped completely legally (provided permits are in order).

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
In New York City keeping T's is illegal? But this since recently? SMH :shy:
Not a recent thing.

Agree with this entire post except for that last quoted sentence. It is my understanding given the institutions and companies that I have worked with that it is totally within the law to ship many invertebrates in USPS. What USPS does not allow to be shipped is any arachnids, or anything venomous (including centipedes and assassin bugs). Roaches, millipedes, and the like, however, can be shipped completely legally (provided permits are in order).
You are correct. My apologies. Before I hit submit, I changed it to arachnids in my first sentence and forgot to correct it in my last. It has since been corrected. Thank you for pointing that out to me. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not a recent thing.
I was surprised a bit because I have never heard about that in the various discussions about, here. So it's even worst than here in Italy, because after a quick search I discovered that even centipedes (which as we know aren't even arachnids) aren't legal either.