"Find the Pit Bull"

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have fun. Be truthful - did you pick the right dog the first time you watched it?
I want to know if this video is a challenge for non-Pit Bull people.
And anything you see wrong (clips moving too fast, too slow, typo's etc) tell me please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xeQyVHEr_A

LordPofas

Arachnopeon
Nice vid! I got all right except the Ridgebacks and the Banddogge, didn't know what they were but didn't confuse em with APBTs. I have 2 very large and playful AmBulls, gotta love bullies!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I need to know first, Is a staffordshire technically a pit? because if so I guessed all the pits right.

I missed breed 1, 7,

I would have missed the Austrian dogo too. but, My buddy just got one the other day. before that I hadnt ever heard of that breed.

Oh and I missed the Thai ridgeback.

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No, the only Pit(Pit Bull) is the American Pit Bull Terrier, SBTs and ASTs are their own breed ;)

The Thai is a rather rare breed, but when my friend had that dog SEVERL people asked if he was a pit bull.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Nice vid! I got all right except the Ridgebacks and the Banddogge, didn't know what they were but didn't confuse em with APBTs. I have 2 very large and playful AmBulls, gotta love bullies!
American Bulldogs or Bullies? I love both, just wondering.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm. the reason I asked is because around here most people call the staffordshire pits. the city of springfield ban Pits, Staffordshire was included in this ban.

People did fight it, and now can keep them, so long as they are always on a leash and insured for X amount of money.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

You sure there seperate from APBT?

read this.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanstaffordshire.htm

Specifically the "origin" part

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They used to be the same breed, it's true, but that can be said for many breeds. They've developed into their own.

A lot of people try to lump them all in the same breed, and they're not. Different standards, registries, etc.

Unfortunately a few registries with CROSS register them, meaning you could have an American Staffordshire Terrier registered and an Amstaff with the AKC, but also registered as an APBT with the UKC. This can really confuse people.. But the Pedigrees don't lie, and that's a sure way to tell.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Also, don't trust DBI all of the time, I do remember in saying the APBT was a MASTIFF dog. So not all of their info is even near right...

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I need to know first, Is a staffordshire technically a pit? because if so I guessed all the pits right.

I missed breed 1, 7,

I would have missed the Austrian dogo too. but, My buddy just got one the other day. before that I hadnt ever heard of that breed.

Oh and I missed the Thai ridgeback.
Yep me too.."staffordshire technically a pit? because if so I guessed all the pits right." I had pits since I was 10? But sadly no longer keep them:(

I sure do miss me a good well breed pit ;P;P

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep me too.."staffordshire technically a pit? because if so I guessed all the pits right." I had pits since I was 10? But sadly no longer keep them:(

I sure do miss me a good well breed pit ;P;P
It depends on what you mean by "Staffordshire". There are two breeds with the word "Staffordshire" in their names. One is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, an English breed which is actually quite rare in the US. They are fairly smallish, stocky dogs which have often been described as "froggy" in appearance, and should never have cropped ears. The other is the American Staffordshire Terrier, which was known simply as "Staffordshire Terrier" up until 1972, when the AKC recognized the English breed and the word "American" was added to help distinguish them.

The American Staffordshire Terrier, or AmStaff, is directly descended from UKC and ADBA(American Dog Breeders Association) registered American Pit Bull Terriers. AKC recognized the breed in 1936. At that time, the UKC registered the APBT as "American Bull Terriers", and did not include the word "Pit", but members of the AKC Bull Terrier Club(the ones with the funny-looking head) protested registering another breed with the words "Bull Terrier" in it, so the AKC had to come up with a different name to appease them. It actually had nothing whatsoever to do with the negative connotations of the word "Pit", since even UKC didn't use that back then. ALL original stud book entries were game-bred APBT's, many of which were owned and bred by some of the most-notable "dog men" of the day, including John Colby, who is credited with writing the AKC standard for the breed that is still used today. The stud book remained open until 1957, when it was closed to UKC and ADBA dogs. The stud books were re-opened briefly to UKC registered APBT's from 1972-74. Both UKC and ADBA have continued to register AKC AmStaffs as APBT's and have never accepted the AmStaff and APBT as two separate breeds. AKC breeders have sought, especially more recently, to distance themselves from the American Pit Bull Terrier, denying vehemently that there ever was any connection. There are many, many dogs which are dual, or even triple-registered, and have been for many generations, having registration as both American Staffordshire Terriers and American Pit Bull Terriers. AKC and UKC breeders have tended to breed towards a stockier, larger dog, even though such dogs are actually against both breed standards, while most ADBA breeders have continued to breed for a smaller, leaner, more athletic dog that is more functional than the show ring counterpart. Lately many unscupulous breeders have crossed in various other Bulldog and Mastiff breeds to create the "American Bully" dogs, which are still registered as APBT's, unfortunately, in many registries, which further confuses things. These, along with most of the dogs referred to as "pit bulls", are simply mongrel dogs.

pitbulllady