Finally!

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My seemanni have finally burrowed! Woo hoo! During the night she tunneled more than 6 in. into the dirt. That's what I call progress!

Thanks to all who suggested potting soil. This seems to work great for her...BUT I'm having trouble with moisture. The top inch or so gets rock hard within several hours of being misted. Would dumping some vermiculite or more peat on the top keep it from becoming a large brick?

N.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey nocturnalpulsem, congratulations. hopefully you dont regret not being able to see them when you want but burrowing t's are still cool.

BTW do u live live in Lansing by the mississippi river? PM if you do

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
hey nocturnalpulsem, congratulations. hopefully you dont regret not being able to see them when you want but burrowing t's are still cool.

BTW do u live live in Lansing by the mississippi river? PM if you do
Actually, I can see her more now than I have for weeks. She's burrowed right up against the glass.

There's a Lansing by the Mississippi??? New one on me. Actually, if I spit from my doorstep I can hit Indiana LoL

N.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its quite hard to keep the substrate from getting hard and dry like that.

Vermiculite seems to work best for inhibiting that but peat has also done ok for me. The secret is to not to let it dry out because once it gets hard like that it is hell to try and make it absorb water again.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I mist it pretty regularly. I've just noticed that it starts getting drier and seems to be pulling away from the glass near the edges.

N.