Finally!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally I have a few extra bucks! I was wanting to get a couple of scorpions because I miss them and have not had the pleasure of having one for quite some time now. I want something with a little bit of an attitude, but nothing too crazy because I have kids now. They will be kept with the pokies inside a locked closet, inside a locked room, contained within a locked terrarium for safeguard reasons.

I am thinking I want something I have not had before, so my long time favorites such as Vaejovis, Centruroides, Parabuthus, etc. are out... well maybe not the Vaejovis... I sure do like them :)

I would prefer something that is communal with a lower venom, but communal is not necessarily a must. Some ideas I was floating around with were R. junceus, B. jacksoni/gigas, and.... Vaejovis if I could preferably find some other than the V. spinigerus. I would really like to snag up some V. carolinianus(sp) but not sure if I can find any.

So what should I get? What is available? I have not kept scorpions in quite some time and unfortunately wish strange cargo inverts was still around about now, none of the dealers seem to have the selection of scorpions that used to be around lol. Any ideas or recommendations? This is exciting... :D

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
communal?

B Jacksoni are the best imo, along with C. Vittaus
C. Gracilis are communal, but mine became cannibals around molting season

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Geeze, its not every day you find just exactly what you were looking for on these forums.

:clap: V. carolinianus it is!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
R. junceus are very nice, hardy scorpions. You should be able to find CB babies as well. Thet are very similar to C gracilis in feeding habits and care. They are communal as adults as well.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
communal?

B Jacksoni are the best imo, along with C. Vittaus
C. Gracilis are communal, but mine became cannibals around molting season
That's typical of most scorpions, most of us have learned this the hard way. A molting scorpion is viewed as an easy meal! :/

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's typical of most scorpions, most of us have learned this the hard way. A molting scorpion is viewed as an easy meal! :/
Agree! I've seen it with all scorps... "communal" or not. If you're molting, you're a soft and tasty target!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also consider hottentotta. Very fiesty. One of my H hottentoptta just spent the last few minutes stinging, I don't know what, because I opened her lid to feed her. Lots of randon aggression.

John

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also consider hottentotta. Very fiesty. One of my H hottentoptta just spent the last few minutes stinging, I don't know what, because I opened her lid to feed her. Lots of randon aggression.

John
Its weird that all this time I have never picked up such a hobby classic that is H. hottentotta. If I would have known that they were that feisty before though I would have went and picked a couple of them up at some point lol.

I wanted something new this time around, and since I can no longer keep my hots because of the kids it is fun to have something with a little attitude. Scorpions were my first love and what got me into the invert hobby. I remember about 6 years ago when I bought my first purchase from Graham over at Strange Cargo Inverts, man do I miss those days! It seemed like their was so much more of a selection of scorpions compared to now.

Vaejovis has long been a favorite genus of mine. When I first got into the hobby I was living in SC, and there were many long hot sunny days that I spent tromping around looking for the ever hard to find V. carolinianus. Unfortunately I never found any in the south, but have always been looking forward to getting a few.

I am leaning more and more away from keeping T's anymore and more towards my first love. For Christmas I might have to ask 'Santa' for some H. hottentotta and a few R. junceus :)

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

John
Yea the H. Caboverdensis I recently got do backflips in order to subdue prey its quite fun to watch.