Finally the correct setup

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
i finally had time to build my new enclosure and got me some coco fibre as a correct substrate.
This was the dreadful setup I had for a few weeks
9410128F-F460-42D4-8C6D-2F16CD964CCF.jpeg
And now I have this, even got me a mossy rock for some greenery.
1BE4C04A-7F35-410A-B8EC-522EEB99C1BD.jpeg
ADB9C605-C4DD-4CBE-A51F-A70343ABC546.jpeg
I just need to get a smaller hide. I passed by a tree that had curly bark that’s peeling off, I’ll grab a piece of that when I pass by it again.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Um...

What species is your T? Some sort of Brachy? For some reason, I cannot zoom in on the photos.

The height from the substrate to the lid should be less than two times the legspan of your spider to prevent hazardous falls. Your substrate also looks really moist, which is undesireable for the majority of Brachys. They also like enough substrate to burrow.

Aside from possibly the wrong type of substrate in the first photo, that enclosure was perfectly fine.

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
Um...

What species is your T? Some sort of Brachy? For some reason, I cannot zoom in on the photos.

The height from the substrate to the lid should be less than two times the legspan of your spider to prevent hazardous falls. Your substrate also looks really moist, which is undesireable for the majority of Brachys. They also like enough substrate to burrow.

Aside from possibly the wrong type of substrate in the first photo, that enclosure was perfectly fine.
It’s a b.smithi. And no problem, I can fill it up more. It’s only that wet because I just took my substrate out of the water, so when it dries out I can leave it as is.
Why didn’t anyone tell me that coco fibre expands to 100 times its size when I put it in water? I literally have a 10 litre bucket full of the stuff, and only 1 juvie T.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It’s a b.smithi. And no problem, I can fill it up more.
Why didn’t anyone tell me that coco fibre expands to 100 times its size when I put it in water? I literally have a 10 litre bucket full of the stuff, and only 1 juvie T.
It... says that on the package? That's the entire point of a condensed brick of substrate.

You should have just gotten a cheap bag of top soil. You'd still have a boatload of it, but it would have been a lot cheaper and multi-purposeful. You also wouldn't have to dry out the sub before using it like you need to do with your current hydrated concoction.

When you fill up that enclosure, pack the substrate tightly as you go. It will hold a burrow better then, and you'd be surprised how much sub you use getting the height to a properly safe level.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ohh, I didn't realize you are from a different country. Here in the states, they are packaged in plastic either individually or in sets of three with labels from the company that tell you what is in it and how to use it.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Just add some more sub, pack it down firm and let it dry out a bit before adding any more moisture.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
HAHAHAHA, why do Americans always do this?
Because this forum is based in the US, and while it is open to anyone from anywhere and there are lots of members from other countries... it isn't the first thing I think of on a platform like this? But even still, I wouldn't have assumed that bricks of sub in another country are sold completely unmarked... that seems odd to me regardless of location.