FINALLY! I got one - now I am content

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
The Pittsburgh Reptile Show was today and Pat from Regal Reptiles was there. He had absolutely beautiful G. pulchras. I've been wanting one really bad. Almost ordered from Todd but then had the Jeep incident and couldn't afford it. Still a bit tight on the cash but Pat, God bless his soul, was willing to do some wheeling and dealing and trading for a couple of T's that I was willing to part with. This G. pulchra is all I dreamed she would be. About an inch or so and already black - she had just shed recently and the skin was still in the deli cup though too small to sex from but from the looks of her (wide pedicel and very large chelicera for such a small spider) my instincts tell me there's a very good chance it is a she. I can't believe how excited I am about this spider! She is so beautiful and not at all skittish as some have said their G. pulchra slings are. Just had to share the story. Now I've got to come up with a name :)

Gail

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right on! :D
I'm very happy for you and your new s'ling! Good luck on many good years with her.

Atrax

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Me too!

Hey, I just got a G.Pulchra 1" s'ling on Thursday (my very first T). Isn't that cool? Mine is still pink (or reddish) except for the abdomen which is a greyish-black. I have no idea how to ever guess the sex, but some tips would be helpful.
He/She likes to climb a lot, but it sometimes hides in the 'burrow' i created with my finger. I absolutely love it, but since it's my first, I worry about its safety a lot. I have one picture I've been meaning to upload, I'll try to get it on here.
Do you have any pictures of your s'ling?? I would love to see any if you do.
Looks like we both have a great spider, congradulations!
The Rookie

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
w00t! Congrats :) G. pulchra babies are so sweet! I still have the seven I picked up a while back. They're quickly becoming some of my favorite tarantulas!

-Bryan

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
OK, here's her first picture. It's not very good as it wasn't easy to take it with one hand - when I opened her tiny bug house she came walking right out! I tried sharpening it up a bit which made the shadows look odd, but you get the idea of her size and color at least :rolleyes:

Gail

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She is so adorable. I would like to have one but I must wait. If I bring in too many at once, I wont be able to hide it from my wife. Best of luck and many yrs with her.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK I'm jealous. I want a G. Pulchra too but I haven't yet found any locally and I'm leary of ordering over the net :rolleyes: .
Hehe, wish me luck, I'm going to continue looking for one, or if anyone around Southern Cali knows where I can find one I would love to know :)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by veronyka
OK I'm jealous. I want a G. Pulchra too but I haven't yet found any locally and I'm leary of ordering over the net :rolleyes: .
Hehe, wish me luck, I'm going to continue looking for one, or if anyone around Southern Cali knows where I can find one I would love to know :)
What aspect of ordering over the net bothers you? Is it the act of ordering anything over the net or the shipping of the live critter?

Botar

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sure is a beautiful G. Pulchra spiderling. I think you got lucky. Sometimes I think mine wandered in from a cornfield. When these things get mated, is any consideration given to the looks and temperment of the spiders, so that these traits will be passed on? My spider is greyish, tan, and dark redish brown, with some black on its abdomen. It can be quite skittish - literally running away from you, but hasn't shown any aggression.

I got my spider from arachnocenter.com.

However, on the plus side, it's healthy and has devoured all crickets without a trace, and seems to make creative use of its surroundings. Are some spiderlings like "ugly ducklings" that transform into beautiful, calm adults?

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Spider's like your spider

Hey Tranz,
My G.Pulchra s'ling sounds more like yours than Gail's. Mine has a charcoal greyish abdomen that's almost black, and the rest of him/her is a pinkish-red colour. i was a little surprised at first, but this only makes me anticipate his first moult (with me) even more now because he might come out of it with a brand new colour.
Paul

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
@ Tranz

yes, they can be absolutely NOTHING like their adult counterparts!
That's the neat thing about getting one so tiny...they go through both color and personality transformations :)

@ Gail

Oh my, what a cutie! I want another one! I sent my mature male off to try and bless me with *many* of them, but I don't know if I can be patient enough :D

Fuggrur

Arachnopeon
I got my spider from arachnocenter.com.
Paul Becker has been known to misidentify bugs...

I just got a Pulchra sling not too long ago, mine is one of those thats skittish... But it sure is a cute little bugger :)

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm more leary of having a live critter shipped than anything.. I just don't want to risk that. I've looked at Paul's page and I don't see any G Pulchras on it, which is too bad since he's so close to me. I guess I'll keep on looking :rolleyes:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm more leary of having a live critter shipped than anything.. I just don't want to risk that. I've looked at Paul's page and I don't see any G Pulchras on it, which is too bad since he's so close to me. I guess I'll keep on looking :rolleyes:
You might want to look again, 9th T down on the list, 1+" G. pulchra slings, $35.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I may be mistaken but I think Paul Becker MIGHT be at the IRBA show this weekend in San Diego, give him a call and see......
I have 8 or 9 pulchras.......gotta luv em!
Ed

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm more leary of having a live critter shipped than anything.. I just don't want to risk that. I've looked at Paul's page and I don't see any G Pulchras on it, which is too bad since he's so close to me. I guess I'll keep on looking
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're here, if we're talking about the same place. Just look under "pulchra" or "brazilian".

http://www.petcenterusa.com/acframes.htm

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aha... awesome. I think he didn't have them last time I checked. I think I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow, and see if I can get one :} Thanks everyone

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aha... awesome. I think he didn't have them last time I checked. I think I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow, and see if I can get one :} Thanks everyone
Might want to get them eyeballs checked out ;) He's had the same listing since at least June.