Finally got my second T!

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
Finally got my second T at Repticon today!
I just set up her enclosure this is my first terrestrial T so I hope all goes well. She was only $20 which is quite the steal. I overflowed the water dish and the vendor said he kept her on moist sub, but I heard they were supposed to be on dry? (A.Seemanni) 516CCAF4-52AB-4272-8E10-99C7ACAF99A0.jpeg E54F8CBA-DEAE-496D-ACB4-C80E2844C0EA.jpeg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Deep, fairly moist, substrate. This species is from more tropical areas and are not to be kept the same way that you would an Aphonopelma from the states. I think they are often priced that low because they are wild caught... which is unfortunate, since this species is fairly easy to breed in captivity.
Please add a lot more substrate.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
A. seemani need deep, slightly moist substrate. You'll want to add quite a bit more depth, firmly packed, and keep moist by periodically overflowing the water dish. I would ditch the half-log hide in favor of a slightly curved piece of cork bark partially buried (which it will probably ignore anyway - they seem to like their own tunnel system vs anything prefab).

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
Deep, fairly moist, substrate. This species is from more tropical areas and are not to be kept the same way that you would an Aphonopelma from the states. I think they are often priced that low because they are wild caught... which is unfortunate, since this species is fairly easy to breed in captivity.
Please add a lot more substrate.
Is 7inches of sub okay? I’m going to buy more eco earth tomorrow, as for the moisture levels is it okay to just flood the corners?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would keep it damp throughout by aiming the water at the sides of the enclosure and soaking the underneath while keeping the top dry. I use a water bottle with a spout so I can easily aim the water along the sides.
I would give about that much substrate, yes.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
the vendor said he kept her on moist sub, but I heard they were supposed to be on dry? (A.Seemanni)
Nope, the vendor is right, it's a common misconception that because the rest of the genus is kept dry this species should also be kept dry (I see the same thing with T. albopilosum/vagans, both are subtropical species that are often kept in arid setups, they'll survive because they're tough as old boots but it's not ideal).

Provide a lot more sub depth and keep the sub moist.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
Update: Soaked coco fiber in water and let it dry out a bit, then mixed it with the dry sub already in the enclosure and added a bit more water before putting everything in so it’s decently moist. The sub is around 5-6inches. I kept the hide in because she webbed it up. image.jpg