Finally! A female A. avicularia!

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Finally got my female A. avicularia I've been wanting for a while. The pet shop I got her at kept them communially. Quite different that what I normally see. This was the only girl in the group, so I snatched her right up :D

-Bryan

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! Maybe you'll get lucky and she will have already been bred. Keep us posted.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
That was certainly something I thought about after buying her. I got her for breeding reasons, but that'd be very ironic if she made me an eggsac out of nowhere ;)

-Bryan

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A good choice. mine is still young and i have no idea what sex she is but I hope she is a female. She is the sweetest of all my spiders though. The way she walks is the cutest. She kinda reaches with her front legs and touches everything really gently before venturing onto it.

redbadger

Arachnopeon
I just watched my A. aviculria..molt yesterday.....My question is... if it is now an adult will it have tibal hooks???What if any other traits may be noted in order to sex it?:?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I use a different method for sexing that you may find easier or more difficult (everyone's different). I've forgotten the name of this method, but I find it the easiest.

Look at the underside of your spider, at the top of the abdomen (the side of the thorax). You should be able to see a ventral opening between the first set of book lungs. Females will have a very smooth ventral opening. Males will have a rather dense patch of hair over this, which aids in the production of the sperm web. You may need a magnifying glass to see this easily, and I recomend strong lighting.

If you need any more information, I'll be glad to help :)

-Bryan