Filter Fiber?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay, so we all know that sponge or cotton in the water dish = no-no... but my local pet store uses the fibers out of the aquarium water filters. How well do you think that works? Since it's not organic, could it cause the same problems (ie. mold, bacteria, etc)?

kellygirl

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine so. Atleast in the bacteria area -- It's moist with water all around it.

I don't think it'd be a serious problem -- tarantulas in the wild probably have it a hundred times worse. I just don't see any reason to do it, though -- Just toss in water dish and call it a day.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, those darn crickets always find their way into the water bowl... and fishing out bloated, water-logged crickets isn't my cup of tea!

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
Am I the only person that doesnt have the drowning cricket problem :confused:
Consider yourself blessed... nothing smells worse than a drowned cricket! ICK!

kellygirl

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh well I think its cuz I Throw the cricket right next to the T or near its burrow ;P. My chaco doesnt give the cricket time to react as soon as it hits the ground its snatched up reminds me of my trapdoor spiders.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
Oh well I think its cuz I Throw the cricket right next to the T or near its burrow ;P. My chaco doesnt give the cricket time to react as soon as it hits the ground its snatched up reminds me of my trapdoor spiders.
I wish my Chaco would eat!!!!!! Is yours not doing a winter fast?

kellygirl

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
Okay, so we all know that sponge or cotton in the water dish = no-no... but my local pet store uses the fibers out of the aquarium water filters. How well do you think that works? Since it's not organic, could it cause the same problems (ie. mold, bacteria, etc)?

kellygirl
How do you know that a sponge is "organic", but the fibers out of the aquarium water filters are not?

"Organic" is the problem. But not the organic in the filter, but the organic in the stuff that accumulates in it.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
kelly--
i'd think that the filter would pose the same problem as a cotton ball or sponge. why? well, i'll tell ya--crickets poop--and they poop everywhere. one of their favorite places seems to be in the water dish. why is that? i haven't a clue. but cricket poop on the water dish just seems like a bad mix to me.

to keep crickets from drowning you can either add a few smooth pebbles to your water dish, or you can buy "cricket drink." the type i have is manufactured by esu reptiles under the name "gut load" (the gut load line has cricket food, cricket food with calcuim, etc...etc...) but if you get the cricket drink, i'd still put some pebbles in the t's water dish because crickets will drink wherever they like, and if they choose real water over cricket drink, then adding pebbles cuts down on the cricket drownings.

and because cricket drink is kind of expensive (around $6 a bottle), i keep adding water to it. eventually it will absorb the excess water and your cricket drink will last longer. you can add a bit of water to the dried out chunks in the cricket water bowl, too.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The main problems with any kind of sponge is not necessarily whether or not it is organic or not but of how sponges/cotten/mesh is made up. These objects allow all sorts of detritus/junk to accumulate and provide food for bacteria. In nature regular rain washes much of this by and does not allow it to accumulate as much...or at the very least refreshes any natural water holes that may be available.

John
];')