Filming Request - Large Spider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin MTV

Arachnopeon
Hello I am looking for a large spider for a recording of a television show in the the NE Georgia area on the 13th Feb including a handler. If anyone can help and would like to discuss the project and fee please do let me know. Gavin

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Most here don’t approve of handling. Its not safe for the Tarantula.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
If your TV show includes any kind of handling, or anything else potentially dangerous (to the tarantula) I doubt if you'll get much help here. I know I wouldn't - to much risk of someone panicking and harming one of my spiders. Also I would never allow it to be more than a few inches off the ground while out of it's enclosure. You might want to try FB - more 'handlers' there.

Majesticdemon

Arachnopeon
Everyone's so quick to judge. The above individual called me from London in regards to the project, unfortunately I am super busy this week with four classroom presentations and the wife is out of town. From what I understood from our conversation there would be little to no handling at all if done appropriately. By his use of the word "handler", I think he ment wrangler or someone there just to make sure things were safe. Wouldn't it be prudent to have someone there with at least some basic knowledge of arachids and their behavior to ensure it's safety and possibly help promote the idea that spiders aren't out to get us.
Deen-

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Everyone's so quick to judge.
Maybe we're quick to judge because of the garbage that goes on with tarantulas in TV, Youtube, and Music videos. For my part I was just letting the OP know if he was planning anything like I mentioned not to waste his time here. All he needed to do was explain his intentions for the shoot in his post and he could have avoided hearing all this.

Majesticdemon

Arachnopeon
I agree that a more detailed description of what is required would have been beneficial and perhaps more time to prepare if anyone were to be willing to take part. In the end this "garbage" will continue to take place with or without the arachid community. We can either join and advocate for safety and understanding, use what we have learned to teach others or sit on the sidelines, being angry and complain about it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I think it is more than prudent to be suspicious of requests like this being made on internet forums.
Firstly, genuine, above board, productions usually have resources for animal handlers and don't make posts online. This is obvious a more amateur production.
Secondly, with all of the excellent non-live alternatives that can be easily accessed, I would quickly ask myself why it has to be a live animal at all.
Thirdly, my personal experiences talking with people doing the requesting and also having a spider who was destined to be let loose on the streets of Toronto after being used in an amateur film, makes me treat these scenarios with more than generous suspicion.
And, when it comes to the well being of my animals, I really don't think you can be too careful at all.

Gavin MTV

Arachnopeon
Deen Thank you for your help and yes you are right.

Some of you in here really do need to chill out.......... Its a spider for a TV show ... Get over yourselves!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

Some of you in here really do need to chill out.......... Its a spider for a TV show ... Get over yourselves!
What will said Tarantula be doing is this TV show?

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac

It's a living thing potentially being placed in a dangerous situation "for a tv show", and you've come to a forum dedicated to the safe keeping of these living creatures. You may want to rethink the way you approach the subject with this particular audience. (Specifically, minimizing the concerns expressed without any clarification of your actual intentions, and doing so in a dismissive/belittling fashion. The tone of your response is very likely, imho, to reduce even further the possibility that someone here would assist)

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Your response to people's concern over the well being of their animals tells everyone everything they need to know.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It has nothing to do with ourselves. We are concerned for the safety of tarantulas. Their abdomens are fragile, and most people's natural reaction to something scary crawling on them is to fling it across the room.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I wonder...is the username indicative of the network with which the show would be affiliated? "MTV"? The fine folks that brought us "Jackass"? Hmm. I can see it...

"Tonight watch as Donnie Dispstick puts a tarantula down his pants. Don't worry, neither Donnie or the spider are in any real danger, as the spider's owner agreed to loan us an OBT and explained that that stands for "Orange Beautiful Thing" and its formidable demeanor is 'all bark and no bite'! "

Transrights

Arachnosquire
You had the perfect chance to address some of the concerns that were brought up, which were very valid imho, to win people over for your project. You are on a website full of people who only want the best for their pets after all, that includes being wary of people who want to use tarantulas for video productions, something that has always been a touchy subject for people due to past experiences that were made.

Instead, you decide to belittle the people bringing up those concerns, for whatever reason. An intern of two months would probably have reacted with more tact and professionalism than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.