Filling there water dish with sand?

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Every two days , now, I`m removing sand out of my H. Arizonenesis`s water dish. She has begun to burrow all over the place and always manages to top her water dish off every couple of days.

This ever hapen to anybody else?

Mat

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah this happens too me with my H. spadix and my tri color burrowing scorpion. Maybe its there way of saying im not thirsty.

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Who knows there is probably a reason for this.....I'm no expert so...

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Or maybe they just hate the shape of the water dish and want to hide it ;)

Frank

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you fill the water dish every day, they will do everything they can to adjust the humidity to where they like it. If they are unable to succeed, they'll move to a more comfortable area of the enclosure. They are very common to drink water directly from the sand as well. It probably has a means of providing calcium for this genus, considering I have seen them, on more than one occasion of breeding, eating sand immediately afterwards. I use calci-sand mixed with regular fine grain sand. I often walk into the basement and watch them breed. H. arizonensis and H. spadix included.

adios,
edw. =D

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You really only need to put water in the dish once a week for Hadrurus and most other desert species. They get nearly all of their water from the food they eat. I don't even use a water dish any more for my Hadrurus but I do use the under substrate humidification method which allows the scorpions to burrow to the humidity level they are comfortable with.

The same goes with my V.spinigerus, V.coahuilae and Paruroctonus gracilior...No water dish for these little guys as I just mist one corner of their enclosure once a week and they drink from the droplets if needed.

John
];')

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My A. amoreuxi, A. australis, A. bicolor, and P. leiosoma would do this all the time....so much so that I no longer even put a water dish in their enclosures.
Conversely, none of my 'forest dwelling' species have ever done it.
I think it is just as XOskeletonRED says. It must have to do with humidity control.