Filling the enclosure

mistertim

Arachnobaron
So, I recently lost my AF A. versicolor and her enclosure is just sitting there looking forlorn and empty so I figure it should be filled with a new tenant. Its a large Jamie's enclosure so it can be used for terrestrial or arboreal but I'd like to get another arboreal. A few I'm thinking about...most likely a juvie/sub-adult or even adult female (for the smaller species) since the enclosure is pretty big.

O. violaceopes
Avic (maybe purpurea or another versi)
T. gigas
P. subfusca

Thought about H. maculata but from what I understand they can be quite defensive...which doesn't really bother me too much but I'm still getting used to Pokies. Then again, I've heard the same about O. violaceopes but they seem to be more "run away" than "I will kill you and your entire family". Thoughts?

IsraelMS

Arachnopeon
I have never had a H. maculata with that uber-agressive behavior. The main problem with them is when they decide to hide from you during looong periods of time. In my experience, any Poecilotheria gives you more "strong" (they are not going to kill you or something) experiences than Heteroscodra maculata. In your list there are very different animals regarding aggressive behavior / defensiveness. My choice would be Tapinauchenius gigas, if you get a female is a extremely beautiful red arboreal. With teleporting abilities: beam me up ;)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Get an A. metallica! I couldn't be happier with mine, she's very calm but still an aggressive eater. And those fiberoptic setae must be seen to be believed!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I love my H. mac, they are definitely an angry snowflake. They do nothing but run and hide until they hit roughly 4". At that point, they're more than willing to chase you down if they feel the need. However, it's about the only arboreal species that I've come to love, so that's gotta mean something.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, I recently lost my AF A. versicolor and her enclosure is just sitting there looking forlorn and empty so I figure it should be filled with a new tenant. Its a large Jamie's enclosure so it can be used for terrestrial or arboreal but I'd like to get another arboreal. A few I'm thinking about...most likely a juvie/sub-adult or even adult female (for the smaller species) since the enclosure is pretty big.

O. violaceopes
Avic (maybe purpurea or another versi)
T. gigas
P. subfusca

Thought about H. maculata but from what I understand they can be quite defensive...which doesn't really bother me too much but I'm still getting used to Pokies. Then again, I've heard the same about O. violaceopes but they seem to be more "run away" than "I will kill you and your entire family". Thoughts?
I thought dealing with my AF H. mac was easier than some other Ts I owned, but that could be just my fortune.

Tim, O.v. is no longer O.v., it's back to L.v., just changed a few weeks ago ;) I've owned Poki and Lvs. Lvs are much more unpredictable than Pokis. Poec can confirm this as well. Also, just an FYI, only the females remain pretty. The males turn an ugly olive green. :( So at least you get sexual dimorphism out of that species :D They grow incredible fast, faster than my P rufilata's did. Both species were males too. You'd know in less than a year if I recall correctly if you have a male or not. The size increase for male maturity is tremendous. In one molt they can go from 3.5/4" to 6" easily.

I'd go with A. versi, but A purp seem to be no less skittish.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My first thought was the L. violaceopes but no way will that T fit in that enclosure when full grown as IIRC they can get up to 9-10 inches DLS. I've also read that they tend to be very shy and reclusive. What is the experience of those here who keep them? Definitely thinking about an A. metallica now as well. The Pokie not so much...not because I don't like them, but because my last 2 spiders have been Pokie slings so I'll just let them grow and expand the species I keep a bit. The Tap is also tempting. Hard to decide!

Changed back to L. violaceopes. Thanks @viper69 :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My first thought was the L. violaceopes but no way will that T fit in that enclosure when full grown as IIRC they can get up to 9-10 inches DLS. I've also read that they tend to be very shy and reclusive. What is the experience of those here who keep them? Definitely thinking about an A. metallica now as well. The Pokie not so much...not because I don't like them, but because my last 2 spiders have been Pokie slings so I'll just let them grow and expand the species I keep a bit. The Tap is also tempting. Hard to decide!

Changed back to L. violaceopes. Thanks @viper69 :D

All of mine were very photosensitive and reclusive. You'll never see one except at 3am hah. I think 10" is a stretch actually. I believe they are more like 8-9" for AFs. Even 9 is pushing it.

I've owned A. metallica. Hands down the best Avic I have ever owned. Large, docile excellent eater, out a lot.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
I love T. gigas. Don't have one myself, but very high up on my wish list! Big fuzzy orange spiders, what's not to like? :D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I love T. gigas. Don't have one myself, but very high up on my wish list! Big fuzzy orange spiders, what's not to like? :D
Yeah I think I'm hovering in between A. metallica and T. gigas right now. Both are available as juvie/sub-adult sexed females from a couple people. I loved my Avic so another one would be great, but at the same time the Orange Bolt of Lightning formerly known as T. gigas looks fun as I absolutely love my fasties

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Buy a female (female, because males are worth nothing, save for breeding) L.nigerrimum. They are fun :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another vote for H. mac. My male, he is hidden. Has been for about a week or so.

When I first got them he was always out strolling around. Now, my female, she is out most of the time. She hides from time to time. But she is one of my most visible Ts.

My most visible, always out, never hidden is my P. pulcher. It is always out.

So a second vote, Psalmopoeus pulcher.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Out of your list i would probably get the T gigas personally. but if i wanted to fill an arboreal tank I'd look for an Avicularia sp colombia that's only because i think they are one of the most beautiful Avics

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I love the Tapi's and Avic's.

You might also take a look at the Psalms. Pulcher as well if you already have other Avic's. They have a contrast to the Avic's with that lighter shade. Mine are slings but don't hide at all.

EDIT* Tapi's have a reputation of being skittish, but my Gigas slings just sit there and don't move. They are tending to blend in with my fake plants etc unlike the Pulcher though.

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I love the Tapi's and Avic's.

You might also take a look at the Psalms. Pulcher as well if you already have other Avic's. They have a contrast to the Avic's with that lighter shade. Mine are slings but don't hide at all.

EDIT* Tapi's have a reputation of being skittish, but my Gigas slings just sit there and don't move. They are tending to blend in with my fake plants etc unlike the Pulcher though.
Oh I love Psalmos; I have a sub-adult female P. cam and a P. irminia juvie. Yeah I've heard varying things about Taps but what you said seems true...they sound like they're more comfortable when there's more foliage around and are more likely to be out and about if you set it up that way.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I rarely ever see my L violaceopes, it's grown well but stays completely hidden. I'd always go psalmo or avic simply because I love them.
(Haven't personally gotten a tappie yet but will eventually. Have one slot slated for T gigas in the spring)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Oh I love Psalmos; I have a sub-adult female P. cam and a P. irminia juvie. Yeah I've heard varying things about Taps but what you said seems true...they sound like they're more comfortable when there's more foliage around and are more likely to be out and about if you set it up that way.
I suspect adult Tapi's will be even less skittish since what I have got is slings. I am not familiar with the other T's on your list but it looks like a very good list for selection.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
All of mine were very photosensitive and reclusive. You'll never see one except at 3am hah. I think 10" is a stretch actually. I believe they are more like 8-9" for AFs. Even 9 is pushing it.

I've owned A. metallica. Hands down the best Avic I have ever owned. Large, docile excellent eater, out a lot.
I may have been excessivly lucky but i always heard the 10+ stories too an got my female around 3" years ago an she did get 9.5" dls before dying of old age. I was really impressed she got so big since i generally always assume 2" smaller then "advertised" lol