FIGHT!!! Tarantulas VS the bylaw officers

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all, please join me in my fight to keep tarantulas from being banned in my city. I made my case in front of a special advisory commission today but to no avail.

One closed mind in the wrong place defeated me. Now I plead with you to help me in the last resort. There will be one more city council meeting in which the councilors can strike down the law and have tarantulas striken from the banned list. I need you all to email the Ottawa city council as experienced tarantula keepers, who obviously know more than a couple of beaurocrats.

Copy and paste the following into your "send" line... these are the addresses of everyone on the Ottawa city council and the bylaw commission. Please email me with any questions.

Herb.Kreling@ottawa.ca ; Rainer.Bloess@ottawa.ca ; Jan.Harder@ottawa.ca ; Alex.Munter@ottawa.ca ; Dwight.Eastman@ottawa.ca ; Janet.Stavinga@ottawa.ca ;
Alex.Cullen@ottawa.ca ; Rick.Chiarelli@ottawa.ca ; Gord.Hunter@ottawa.ca ; Diane.Deans@ottawa.ca ; Michel.Bellemare@ottawa.ca ; Madeleine.Meilleur@ottawa.ca ;
Jacques.Legendre@ottawa.ca ; Elisabeth.Arnold@ottawa.ca ; Shawn.Little@ottawa.ca ; Wendy.Stewart@ottawa.ca ; Clive.Doucet@ottawa.ca ; Peter.Hume@ottawa.ca ; Phil.McNeely@ottawa.ca ; Doug.Thompson@ottawa.ca ; Glenn.Brooks@ottawa.ca ; Bob.Chiarelli@ottawa.ca ; Christine.Hartig@city.ottawa.on.ca ; blawservices@ottawa.ca ; dawn.whelan@ottawa.ca ; susan.jones@ottawa.ca ; steve.kanellakos@ottawa.ca

Thanks for your help everyone!!

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
What the frigg is wrong w/these people ??? Why the hell is the problem w/tarantulas (or scorps or those ugly pedes or snakes for that matter) ?? This isnt florida, I cant see a loose tarantula surviving our winters ! Tarantula owners are always cautious, and caring and would never be so stupid as to let a T get lost or harm anyone. WHY ARE WE BEING PICKED ON!!!??? Its not fair I tells ya !
Tell me, if they are banned, does that mean that it would be illeagal to OWN them ??? Not that Id give a flying %$%* Im not getting rid of them and damn it, someone better have a curly they can sell me !!!

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone that has helped out so far... I think we are really making an impact with city council!!!

And for those that havent sent an email yet... I plead with you to please help us out... all it costs is a couple of minutes of your time

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
If they think Ts are sooooooooo dangerous, why dont they ban pit bulls too (NO OFFENCE TO PITBULL OWNERS!!!!!!!), there the ones that maul people to death ! Seriously law dudes, GET A GRIP !:mad:

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Urban Legends???

Hi all..:)

Wouldn't it be fun to find if the thing with the glass-table that broke and commually T's came out and into the vents is all an Urban legend??:D

I've tried to find this awesome site ( lost the link, still looking though) on the web that had everything there is about Urban legends.

Kenny

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Saviour,

Labs bite more people than pitbulls every year.

Cheers,
Dave

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Saviour,

Labs bite more people than pitbulls every year.

Cheers,
Dave
Of course there's more labs than pitbulls by a monstrous factor, not exactly a meaningful statistic ;)

Albeit, pitbulls aren't a dangerous dog by any stretch of the imagination by nature and are usually really great dogs. The problems lie with dumbass owners that encourage aggressive behaviour without also training the dog properly. The sorts of dumbasses who would do this tend to get a pit or other "impressive" breed over a lab, and so you get the results you do. If we could somehow sell the gangsta wannabes on chihuahuas I'm sure they'd be the breed with the disproportionate number of bites attributed to them, although without quite the severity.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Shhhhhuuuuut up. :D

I was hoping I could slip that one by instead of going into details. The fact remains, however, that the majority of dog-related injuries are not pitbull related, and thus banning the pitts wouldn't really solve the dog bite problem.

When I actualy have the time to get a dog, I am going to get a bully breed (Tamara wants a "pinty" dog, though, so I don't know). I like a dog that has a strong personality to match its frame.

Cheers,
Dave

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I know, Ive known pitbulls and they arent bad dogs. SkinheadDave, how many of those Labs have KILLED people though ??? Besides, I was using Pitbulls as an example and I dont hold anything against them or their owners.

And thats what Im trying to say here too; banning Ts. What problem would it solve. As far as I can see, there are no problems with Ts that need solving !

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
If we could somehow sell the gangsta wannabes on chihuahuas I'm sure they'd be the breed with the disproportionate number of bites attributed to them, although without quite the severity.
Chihuahuas?? Are they referred to as "nad lickers"?? Sorry about the cross reference there, CM.

Botar

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's an example of brilliant government agency at work:

The city I live decided that organized dogfighting had become a big problem. Their solution was to raise the price on a dog license to $100 if you're male dog wasn't nutered! Yes, I'm sure that your average dogfight promoter gets licenses for his dogs. Oh yeah, better make sure he declares his drug dealing money to the IRS while he's at it!

Of course, this is the same city that considers parking tickets to be the best way to prevent violent crime.

Wade

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Chris,
I just sent an email for you as well...keep us updated, and let us know how it turns out!
Holley

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Wade
Of course, this is the same city that considers parking tickets to be the best way to prevent violent crime.
Not unreasonable. How many hits do you think have been prevented 'cause the hitman couldn't find a parking spot?

Cheers,
Dave

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Not to mention robberies which were prevented because they didn't want to get a double parking ticket..... ;)

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What's funny about the parking ticket thing...

I used to drive delivery for a Chinese resturant. Accross the street (4 lanes and a median) from said restuant, was a nightclub that was blamed for many shootings in the area. It wasn't so much the people inside the club itself, rather it was the people hanging out around their cars in front of the club who were causing the problem. So, the city decides to stop allowing parking on that side of the street after 8:00 PM. It turns out, however, that a city council member was part owner of the nightclub, and he complained it was hurting his business. So, they simply moved the No Parking signs to our side of the street! Of course, there was never any violence assosiate with our resturant, we closed at 10 and we didn't even serve alcohol, but, hey, they gotta pretend that they're doing something about crime. This move killed all our eat-in and take-out business. We still had delivery, but the driver's weren't even allowed to park on the street anymore, so we had to park a block and a half away. A year or so later, it went under entirely.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Wade,

I love it. That's classic municiple government -- or government period, for that matter.

Cheers,
Dave

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Soap Box

Legislators think they must make laws to justify their existence. It is truly stupidity at its greatest efficiency. Believe it or not (tongue firmly in cheek), we have enough laws as it is. Rarely does any "new" law come out that changes anything already covered by the old laws. Case is point; all of the Domestic Violence laws. Believe it or not, knocking the crap out of your spouse was already covered under assault/battery laws. Along comes a politician wanting to make a name for himself/herself as being tough on crime, so they create a bunch of new laws to show the public (sheep) that they are doing their jobs. Most of the new laws are paper tigers. Again, case in point - Driving under the influence of drugs. (marijuana) I've never seen a conviction on this. Testing used in our area (and most that I'm familiar with) cannot determine the amount of THC in your system or the time in which it was introduced. Since THC remains in your system for a fair amount of time after its euphoric effects wear off, they cannot prove impairment by the drug at the time of the incident. That goes unnoticed by the public though and the politician got his day in the sun. Although I'm no big fan of Rush Limbaugh, I agree with his stance that when the government is shut down due to a budget battle, that is a GOOD thing. The less those a-holes work, the better off we are.

Botar (He who works for the A-holes)

Edit: Actually I work for "the people"... the a-holes can kiss mine.

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It makes me think that much of the animosity directed at the police in the "corrupt cops" thread would be better chanelled towards the legislative bodies.

How about the "hate crime" laws? Same deal, just redundancy. It's all about condeming the motive, rather than the crime.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yep, but the people on the front lines always get the crap. Look at receptionist -- probably the most abused people on the face of the planet.

Cheers,
Dave

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, to vent your frustration in the appropriate direction, pick an attorney. Laws are created by and for attorneys. The more convoluted the laws, the more we need attorneys to explain them for us. Another important aspect to keep in mind when dealing with them is this, most cases are won or lost at the local tavern near the courthouse. Its a system of quid pro quo. I've seen some incredible things pulled by attorneys that would just make your stomach turn. Attorneys will fill their clients heads full of BS to make them think they have a chance just to line their own pockets. Sorry, but that has got to be one of the lowest forms of life, in my opinion. (Nice disclaimer there, huh?) When a thug robs someone of their money, its a crime. Attorneys do it all the time and its accepted.

Botar