"Fiesty" Pulchra?!?..

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi

My Pulchra show a pretty lot amount of temper.:)
S/he goes ( i.e. attacks it) for the water when I pour it in, goes into defense position as soon the cage-lid opens and moves towards the opening, attacked my tweezer once when I took up the empty waterlid for refill, and crickets they last about 3 nano - seconds in there when I feed:D

Anyone else with a Pulchra with a kind of temper?

Is about 3 + inches and is really on the move all the time.
The other day the waterdish was dug down sideways and empty of course. Is a really fun T, easy the most active I have.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I have seen this kind of behavior in G. pulchras, but IME, at least, it's directed only toward prey, or what the spider perceives as prey. That's to say if you approach it in a tentative manner, it is possible it may react as if your hand was prey and seize it in its fangs, but chances are it will immediately release it without biting once it confirms you're not something edible. If this isn't an experience you would enjoy, and if you intend to handle your spider, you should make a point of approaching it so it perceives you're more than cricket-sized ;)

Joy

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you completely sure it's a G. Pulchra? Do you have a picture of it you could post - preferably in threat posture?

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pulchra

Yes, it is a Pulchra, got it from a secure identified source:)

Sorry, no digi cam ( yet). Will post as soon as I have one.

Yes, Joy, I think so too, it seems like it have "learnt" that the vibration when I open the lid means food and rush up towards where I normally drop the cricket.

( I must say though that even my big 'mama', the Chaco, sometimes stretches out her legs in full threat display and geezz she's big when she does that. )

It's just these attacks against the water that is soo funny.
Well, the Pulchra gets a shower now and then :D

Kenny

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've got a 1.5 inch pulchra sling and prey doesnt even last 3 nano-seconds in its little jar. It does not show agression towards my finger though, more fear than anything. I am hoping to raise her to be handleable, because if i start handling her when she is 2-3 inches then she might be cool with it still when she is an adult. I just hope i got a pulchra, not a minax LOL. J/k - i got it from a totally reliable source also.

Mark

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kenny
Hi

My Pulchra show a pretty lot amount of temper.:)
S/he goes ( i.e. attacks it) for the water when I pour it in, goes into defense position as soon the cage-lid opens and moves towards the opening, attacked my tweezer once when I took up the empty waterlid for refill, and crickets they last about 3 nano - seconds in there when I feed:D

Anyone else with a Pulchra with a kind of temper?

Is about 3 + inches and is really on the move all the time.
The other day the waterdish was dug down sideways and empty of course. Is a really fun T, easy the most active I have.
I have a 4.5" or so juv male that is rather testy at times, kind of surprised me the first few times he showed some attitude........he might be pre-molt, I will have to check my records and see if he is about due for a molt.
Ed

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have never seen that yet. My pulchra is a calm one. It's my rosea that waits for me to drop the crickets in.. they don't even hit the dirt and she's all over it. But the pulchra.. hmm I gotta watch for that one. Shes pretty small still, about 2 inches

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
''Fiesty" Pulchra?!?..

Mine is about 3" and as never shown any agression or anything (now my Rosea is totally different).The pulchra will just calmly walk under its log when you take the lid off to do aything in its tank.
Chid