Field Crickets not reproducing

CentaurChilopoda

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I`ve been trying to breed some of my field crickets for several months now and don`t seem to be getting any results. I`m concerned that the temperature may be too low as I usually keep my room quite cool and do not have a heating mat installed as this has burnt a hole through one of my plastic enclosures already and creates an unpleasant burning smell after about an hour. Usually, I try to put them into another room that doesn`t get as cold during the night but it doesn`t seem to aid in reproduction either. I have considered purchasing a glass enclosure or less intensive heating mat but would like to hear some advice first.
Thank you!

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I have breed crickets for a short time until I stopped because they are so annoying and fed them up to my beardie. Heat is pretty important but I never had a problem with heat mat burning through my bin.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
The heat mat burning through the plastic is what's worrying me. What is the temperature on it and do you have a thermostat?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
When you say field crickets, you mean something you caught outdoors? Temperate crickets might require a diapause period at some point in their life cycle.

CentaurChilopoda

Arachnopeon
The heat mat burning through the plastic is what's worrying me. What is the temperature on it and do you have a thermostat?
No I don`t yet have a thermosthat, the heat mat was a gift given to me by a relative so I don`t what temperature was advertised by the seller.
But yes, I was also quite worried that it burned through the plastic tank (I just assumed it was my mistake).

CentaurChilopoda

Arachnopeon
When you say field crickets, you mean something you caught outdoors? Temperate crickets might require a diapause period at some point in their life cycle.
No, I bought them from the pet store, just so we`re on the same page Gryllus assimilis is the species I`m refering to.
Pardon me for any confusion but english is not my first language and the dictionary is a bit unreliable with the names of individual species.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
No I don`t yet have a thermosthat, the heat mat was a gift given to me by a relative so I don`t what temperature was advertised by the seller.
But yes, I was also quite worried that it burned through the plastic tank (I just assumed it was my mistake).
That would likely be the problem. If it's too hot the crickets might not reproduce, once you get a thermostat then you should be able to give them optimal reproduction temperature.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
No, I bought them from the pet store, just so we`re on the same page Gryllus assimilis is the species I`m refering to.
Pardon me for any confusion but english is not my first language and the dictionary is a bit unreliable with the names of individual species.
Gotcha. German was my first language too, but I forgot most of it. Your English is a lot better than my German.

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
Breeding crickets was always such a hard job for me. They just never seemed to breed. I found out it was the temperature, so most of the things people here are saying are correct.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
As other people have said, correct temperatures are essential for breeding crickets. I don’t have experience with the exact species in question though. I would suggest purchasing a thermostat or light dimmer to control the temps