Fffff NOW you're available!

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
A pet store that I really enjoy and support finally has a Davus Pentaloris! And she's being sold at a decent price.

:arghh:

I was leaning towards getting one as my first and she's so pretty. Hnvfgffffff it's so far out of my way, but she's the only one available but I already have four spiders.

How do you guys handle not running out and buying up every spider????

magazoo-mygale-tiger-rump-du-guatemala-davus-penta.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I don't have anywhere local to buy them.

That, and a finite amount of shelf space.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
I don't have anywhere local to buy them.

That, and a finite amount of shelf space.
I have the room due to an unfortunate loss in my flock leaving me with one less cage, but I can't buy all the tarantulas.

She's so pretty, thoughhhhh. ;-; fffffff

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Most of us did run out and buy for a while, that’s why we have many more than four.

Dman

Arachnosquire
Shelf space and my wife are obstacles. Otherwise I would get them all!!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I just buy them. It’s good for my short-term emotional health. When that declines, another spider crawls along and winks at me;)

Spiders make me happy. Honestly, there are more expensive things in this world. A tank of gas costs me over $50 USD these days. What’s another drop in the bucket for a spider?

cold blood

Staff member
I think very few of us run out and buy like that. Most are bought online, better selection better prices and more likely to find captive-born specimens.

I go into pet stores with tarantulas all the time and I don't even look because I know prices are going to be outrageous and I'll probably be upset with the housing they're in.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
I think very few of us run out and buy like that. Most are bought online, better selection better prices and more likely to find captive-born specimens.

I go into pet stores with tarantulas all the time and I don't even look because I know prices are going to be outrageous and I'll probably be upset with the housing they're in.
I've been to this store and bought a few pets from there. It's a reptile and arachnid specialty store that takes good care of its animals, which is why I'm especially tempted. They have her listed for 40, which is pretty good for tarantulas around here.

From what I can see, she's being housed well(?) If I do crack and get her, she'd be a legit purchase and not a rescue.

I just buy them. It’s good for my short-term emotional health. When that declines, another spider crawls along and winks at me;)

Spiders make me happy. Honestly, there are more expensive things in this world. A tank of gas costs me over $50 USD these days. What’s another drop in the bucket for a spider?
I can't say know that feeling. :angelic: I wouldn't ever tell a lie.

Attachments

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
As far as exotic animal hobbies go, tarantulas are some of the most affordable. As a whole, reptiles are WAY more expensive, both to purchase AND to keep. A single reptile specimen can initially put you over a $1000 in the hole just to purchase and set it up. And continued maintenance for the 15-20 year commitment of a reptile can also be steep. So comparatively, tarantulas are the true poor man’s exotic animal;)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A pet store that I really enjoy and support finally has a Davus Pentaloris! And she's being sold at a decent price.

I was leaning towards getting one as my first and she's so pretty. Hnvfgffffff it's so far out of my way, but she's the only one available but I already have four spiders.

View attachment 307780
One got to have character my dear Garetyl, ones got to have character!:dead:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My wife is the biggest obstacle. I was offered a free H davidbowie. My wife won't allow any true spiders for some reason. They freak her out more than t's

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

View attachment 307780
It’s called self-control, and it isn’t hard at all, unless one is weak.

As far as exotic animal hobbies go, tarantulas are some of the most affordable. As a whole, reptiles are WAY more expensive, both to purchase AND to keep. A single reptile specimen can initially put you over a $1000 in the hole just to purchase and set it up. And continued maintenance for the 15-20 year commitment of a reptile can also be steep. So comparatively, tarantulas are the true poor man’s exotic animal;)
Your price point is highly, highly misleading! That’s like picking the price of the most expensive T as a barrier to entry.

There’s a reptile for every price point. Tons of herps cost under 50$, and some are over $80,000

15-20 yr commitment is not expensive, again wildly misleading.

I’ve been involved in reptiles for many decades, your 1000$ is just an absurd representation of my hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Your price point is highly, highly misleading! That’s like picking the price of the most expensive T as a barrier to entry.

There’s a reptile for every price point. Tons of herps cost under 50$, and some are over $80,000

15-20 yr commitment is not expensive, again wildly misleading.

I’ve been involved in reptiles for many decades, your 1000$ is just an absurd representation of my hobby.
And what would be the most expensive T? Compare it to a decent, but not most expensive, herp. My Varanus panoptes was $375 as a hatchling. Couple that with building enclosures (which do a LOT of), and a single animal can have a hefty price tag.

I’ve been keeping herps my entire life as well. From my experience, there’s a wider range with herps. You can even get herps for free, depending on what it is. But maintenance for a herp will ALWAYS be more expensive than that of any T.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A single reptile specimen can initially put you over a $1000 in the hole just to purchase and set it up.
I'm with @viper69 on this, the thing that initially put me off of getting reptiles as pets was the misconception that any of them would cost a fortune to purchase/house, unless you're getting something uber rare that needs a massive custom-built habitat then you aren't going to be spending anything close to that amount.

You can purchase and house something like a corn/BP or leo/beardie for under £100, there are slings of some tarantula species that cost more than that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And what would be the most expensive T? Compare it to a decent, but not most expensive, herp. My Varanus panoptes was $375 as a hatchling. Couple that with building enclosures (which do a LOT of), and a single animal can have a hefty price tag.

I’ve been keeping herps my entire life as well. From my experience, there’s a wider range with herps. You can even get herps for free, depending on what it is. But maintenance for a herp will ALWAYS be more expensive than that of any T.
I never disputed herps were more expensive. Did you see me write that.. no you didn’t! What a joke.

What you read is me criticizing the ridiculous price point you wrote to represent the herp hobby.

There are tons of herps that can be bought for less than 30$.

You can get a variety of snakes lizards turtles all less than 30$. I can’t say that for Ts anymore, the prices are muncher higher.

I see common T species that used to be 30$, now they are 45-75$ !!!

My box turtle was cheaper to feed haha.

Instead of putting down 1,000$ you could have written 20,000-80,000$ hahah

Last edited:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I never disputed herps were more expensive. Did you see me write that.. no you didn’t! What a joke
And did I write “A herp WILL cost over $1000?” The key word there was “can.” My point was that no T would ever cost someone that much to purchase and set up.
You can get a variety of snakes lizards turtles all less than 30$. I can’t say that for Ts anymore, the prices are muncher higher.

I see common T species that used to be 30$, now they are 45-75$ !!!
And LP slings are commonly given away. So your prices are an absurd misrepresentation of my hobby.

My box turtle was cheaper to feed haha
Cheaper than a single cricket or roach every 2-3 weeks? Unless you have breeding colonies, and gardening happens to be yet another one of your expert hobbies, I’d say you were underfeeding your animal.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And did I write “A herp WILL cost over $1000?” The key word there was “can.” My point was that no T would ever cost someone that much to purchase and set up.

And LP slings are commonly given away. So your prices are an absurd misrepresentation of my hobby.

Cheaper than a single cricket or roach every 2-3 weeks? Unless you have breeding colonies, and gardening happens to be yet another one of your expert hobbies, I’d say you were underfeeding your animal.
I can’t help that you cannot communicate effectively.

You would have been more effective if you had left price out. I would have agreeed. But as an example you provide a high price point, a price most owners do not even come close to.

Lps are that’s a fact. But B hamori are not. Nor are A purpurea nor A minatrix and many other commonly kept Ts.

I don’t feed any T 1 prey item 2-3 weeks. My Ts dont live in a Nazi concentration camp hahahaha. And Ts were more expensive to feed hahahaha

What you wrote is like saying, owning a car is more expensive than owning a bike, a car can cost $45,000,000.00 etc

True statement, but not representative of the average car owner.

If you don’t understand that point I can’t help you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm with @viper69 on this, the thing that initially put me off of getting reptiles as pets was the misconception that any of them would cost a fortune to purchase/house, unless you're getting something uber rare that needs a massive custom-built habitat then you aren't going to be spending anything close to that amount.

You can purchase and house something like a corn/BP or leo/beardie for under £100, there are slings of some tarantula species that cost more than that.
That’s almost 1,000$, don’t buy one! :troll: