Few New CL Snakies

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I recently picked up three more snakes off Craigslist, all of them out of Georgia. I got BOTH of these little guys for $40.00:

I believe they are a male/female pair, although I haven't probed them. They are '10 CB babies, but since they came from different sources, I don't know if they are out of the same litter or not. The guy I got them from had bought the female at a reptile show in Atlanta, and then decided that he was going to stick with just Retics. Four days before I got her someone had given him the other one, which was rather neglected and underfed. The guy who gave him the snake, which I believe to be a male, was afraid of it and claimed it was vicious. So far, neither have made any attempt to bite or strike at me, not even in their cage. They are alert, active little snakes, more like Retics than Burms, with really, really soft, fine skin. I raised a male AfRock several years ago, and unfortunately lost him to a RI at the same time I lost my last Burms, following several days without electricity due to an ice storm, and he was one of the nicest, calmest pythons of any species I've ever had. These little ones seem to have the same personality, far different from what you hear about this species.

I got this girl, who is a recent import, from the same guy. She is about 2 1/2 feet right now, probably an '09 baby, and is one of the pinkest BCC's I've ever seen. Her pinks and purples just won't show up in photos like they do in real life, no matter what lighting I've tried photographing her in. Her tail is just awesome, deep, deep red, so different from the tail of any so-called Colombian "Red-Tailed" Boa. She is a sweetheart as well, and would be perfect if she didn't already have several scars from struggling with prey.

pitbulllady

jere000

Arachnosquire
Nice Bcc do you know what she is Guyana, Suriname, Etc?It would be shame to have such a colorful boa and only be able to make mutts.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice Bcc do you know what she is Guyana, Suriname, Etc?It would be shame to have such a colorful boa and only be able to make mutts.
She is a wild-caught Guyanan import, pretty much "straight off the boat"(or rather, the plane). She was one of several hand-picked by an importer(whom I know)who also vends at many of the southeastern reptile shows. The guy I got her from bought her from the importer, then decided he wanted to concentrate all his efforts and money in Retics, so all his non-Retic stuff had to go to make room. Of course, with regards to Guyanans vs. Surinames, I honestly do not believe there to be any appreciable difference. They are both BCC's. The two countries share a common border, separated by a river, which of course, snakes would have no trouble crossing. Snakes do not recognize man-made political boundries like country distinctions, after all. I would have no qualms about breeding a Suriname to a Guyanan BCC, and their offspring would not be "mutts" at all, anymore so than the puppies of a wolf from British Columbia and a wolf from Alberta, Canada would be mutts, given that a political boundry established by humans is all that separates them.

pitbulllady

jere000

Arachnosquire
She is a wild-caught Guyanan import, pretty much "straight off the boat"(or rather, the plane). She was one of several hand-picked by an importer(whom I know)who also vends at many of the southeastern reptile shows. The guy I got her from bought her from the importer, then decided he wanted to concentrate all his efforts and money in Retics, so all his non-Retic stuff had to go to make room. Of course, with regards to Guyanans vs. Surinames, I honestly do not believe there to be any appreciable difference. They are both BCC's. The two countries share a common border, separated by a river, which of course, snakes would have no trouble crossing. Snakes do not recognize man-made political boundries like country distinctions, after all. I would have no qualms about breeding a Suriname to a Guyanan BCC, and their offspring would not be "mutts" at all, anymore so than the puppies of a wolf from British Columbia and a wolf from Alberta, Canada would be mutts, given that a political boundry established by humans is all that separates them.

pitbulllady
Yes I understand this.But I still like locale animals lol.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The point she is trying to make is it still will be the same locale.

The only thing separating them is a river which isnt a barrier between snakes.

There is no real difference between guyana and suriname boas

http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/constrictor/SurinamGuyanaE.htm
Exactly! It would be like an Eastern King from York County, SC, mating with an Eastern King from right across the state line from Mecklenberg County, NC-STILL Eastern Kings! I cannot even tell the difference! Same with Suriname/Guyana Boas, and for all I know, even if my snake was shipped from Guyana, she still could have been born across the river in Suriname; ditto for my two young adults which were shipped from Suriname: THEY could very well have come from Guyana, originally! My young adult female is flawless, so she probably was a "farmed" snake, while my adult male has numerous scars, so it's more likely he was wild-collected. All three of my true Red-Tails are as sweet and docile as a Boa can be. The latest youngster isn't even head-shy at all, and all three have either exceptional color and/or patterning(both of my adults have noticeably aberrant, "Jungle-ish" patterns, though whether these are genetic I have no idea), and this is one of the reasons why banning imports of these snakes is such a bad idea. It would be shameful to lose the potential genetic contributions of these animals. Compared to BCI's, there are far fewer BCC's in captive breeding situations in the US, and loss of new "blood" could prove problematic somewhere down the line.

pitbulllady

jere000

Arachnosquire
Yeah I understand but people still like their locales so why not let them have it?I could care less what someone breeds to what.But as long as I can get uncrossed blood I don't care.Besides it's not we're going to release our snakes back in the wild:D breed what you think is going to look good.Good luck with your new boa I can't wait until she gets old enough to reproduce.