Ferts: For those of you that have.

fingersoup

Arachnopeon
While looking at the terrarium design thread, I saw some incredible setups by our members that were using live plants and I am wondering what you guys/gals use for fertilizers.

I’m doing the live plants thing in 4 of my tanks and it looks great. I like the idea of a “micro environment” and even though it might not be as authentic as my t’s origins, it is nice to look at and the t’s seem to enjoy all the hidey places.

I have met all the plants needs as far as light, humidity and drainage according to the plant type (matching them up to the species of tarantula that has the same needs) -but I know I will eventually need to feed them and I hope that as long as I use organic ferts it will be ok? Ferts are basically potassium nitrogen and Phosphorous with some other trace minerals. These elements are everywhere so how can they be harmful?

While searching for this topic, I have read some post were people have warned not to use fertilizer with t’s but these responses seemed to come from people that hadn’t tried it their selves and were just throwing in an opinion just for the sake of it. :} Has anyone had experience with feeding plants in their terrariums that they keep their t’s in? If so what were your results? What did you use as ferts?

Thanks in advance!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While looking at the terrarium design thread, I saw some incredible setups by our members that were using live plants and I am wondering what you guys/gals use for fertilizers.

I’m doing the live plants thing in 4 of my tanks and it looks great. I like the idea of a “micro environment” and even though it might not be as authentic as my t’s origins, it is nice to look at and the t’s seem to enjoy all the hidey places.

I have met all the plants needs as far as light, humidity and drainage according to the plant type (matching them up to the species of tarantula that has the same needs) -but I know I will eventually need to feed them and I hope that as long as I use organic ferts it will be ok? Ferts are basically potassium nitrogen and Phosphorous with some other trace minerals. These elements are everywhere so how can they be harmful?

While searching for this topic, I have read some post were people have warned not to use fertilizer with t’s but these responses seemed to come from people that hadn’t tried it their selves and were just throwing in an opinion just for the sake of it. :} Has anyone had experience with feeding plants in their terrariums that they keep their t’s in? If so what were your results? What did you use as ferts?

Thanks in advance!
In general they could be bad for the T's health. I can imagine watering a liquid plant food down pretty far should not be harmful, providing you are only giving it sparingly and not saturating the tank with it.

fingersoup

Arachnopeon
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I was looking at blackjungle and they have a Dyna-Gro Fertilizer that is saposta be safe for terrarium use when animals are present.

So I guess I found the answer to my question. ;)

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you're concerned, you could take the T out for a couple days when you fertilize the plants, and return it after the stuff has had a chance to soak in a bit.