Females vs Males

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi...I posted this question on other sites to be sure I reach a larger amount of people. I noticed that my female B. boehmei is not as 'pretty' as the male B. boehmei's. Are their other species where the male is the better looking of the two? :? Maybe they have better coloring to attract the females?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In almost every species of tarantula, males look better once they are matured. There are some where they look the same.

Some species where the female looks better is
Heterscorda maculata
Psalmopoeus spp.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. bicoloratum mature males lose all their red coloring, becoming an all black spider. The females look similar to B. boehmei when mature.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Adult males of H. lividum are 'ugly' in comparison with the females :}

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with that males of H. lividum are freaking ugly........... skinny butts and very drab grey colors. Females look like gods next their ugly counter parts.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Males very often look better colorwise because most get iridescent coloration. (Though their skinnier, leggy bodies usually look uglier).

T. apophysis is one of the best examples of beautiful males, (that didn't sound right).

H. lividum is the exact opposite, along with some others.

-Sean

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup

Yes, ok, Its not just me, lol.:clap:
The male B. boehmei is gorgeous, while the female is just pretty. I have been getting females so they live longer for me, but now may want to get a male or 2 to add some color to my collection, lol.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, ok, Its not just me, lol.:clap:
The male B. boehmei is gorgeous, while the female is just pretty. I have been getting females so they live longer for me, but now may want to get a male or 2 to add some color to my collection, lol.

The thing is that males don't live very long after they mature.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
males

they live around 5 yrs. for most species tough i have to admit my g.rosea male is ten time s prettier than his mate

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they live around 5 yrs. for most species tough i have to admit my g.rosea male is ten time s prettier than his mate
That depends on the species and if your lucky. Thats about the average lifespan for a male from sling to death. I am talking about maturity only which is when the beautiful males are the most beautiful.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Males only live for around five yrs?!
Thats awful...Im glad Im buying all females...I get attached to my pets, even my plants, lol, ;)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Males only live for around five yrs?!
Thats awful...Im glad Im buying all females...I get attached to my pets, even my plants, lol, ;)

Ya but for the majority of the 5 years they arent even at their most beautiful.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
first four years they look like a gril from the top (ull baoring) and when they hit maturity !!Wow!! They are gorgeous , But males aren't all bad as pets if ou don't want a T to live roughly 25yrs. then i would suggest buy a male as a family pet
because if you are a parent or your parent end up with it when the child leaves or looses interest then i doubt the parents would like to hold on for 25yrs. to a T

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I just found out that 2 of my newly acquired T's (the G. Aureostriata and the C. Cyanopubescens) are mature males....big ol' tibial spurs and "boxing gloves"....very obvious. So, while they are beautiful, I think we will end up selling em off....

I like to keep my pets for longer than a couple o' months

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first T was purchased at a pet store here in MI. It was advertised as female redknee subadult, but turned out to be a male:wall: . After him, I learned to order online, lol, and go thru reputable dealers for female Ts.:cool:
The only other male I may ever get is the B. boehmei, just gorgeous! The rest of my collection is female....and purchased online.:)

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first T was purchased at a pet store here in MI. It was advertised as female redknee subadult, but turned out to be a male:wall: . After him, I learned to order online, lol, and go thru reputable dealers for female Ts.:cool:
The only other male I may ever get is the B. boehmei, just gorgeous! The rest of my collection is female....and purchased online.:)
Haha, yeah...the only problem is that buying adult females online is they are SO EXPENSIVE. Part of me thinks it is worth the extra money for the reassurance, but the other part wants to take my chances with an unsexed juvie. I am still pretty new to the hobby, so we shall see how long that lasts....

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, yeah...the only problem is that buying adult females online is they are SO EXPENSIVE. Part of me thinks it is worth the extra money for the reassurance, but the other part wants to take my chances with an unsexed juvie. I am still pretty new to the hobby, so we shall see how long that lasts....
If the female is really expensive, wait awhile for the right deal to come around or buy a couple of slings of the species you want. You'll have a higher chance of getting a female.

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone,

This is one of my first posts and I'm new to the hobby, so I just want to say I'm looking forward to taking part in this great forum!

Here in Australia, some species show marked colour sexual dimorphism. One of our largest species, a Phlogiellus species, is particularly so. The female is basically just a grey colour, but the male is a rich, creamy white. Steve Nunn's web-site has a great pic.

Brett