Female T's eating Male T's, but ON PURPOSE?!

Braden

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone! I was just watching the newest Dark Den youtube video(Mature Male appreciation video) and a thought came across my mind.
Are their any male tarantula species that after they have bred with a female, purposely get eaten by her after(I'm pretty sure some true spiders do this, like the black widow and some orb spiders). Just curious :)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
There's always a chance a male tarantula will get eaten whether the chances are likely or slim, the risk is still there. That's why it's up to the breeder to make sure things can go as smoothly as possible by feeding the female to prepare for breeding and ensuring the male gets in and out fine. There's no set species where males get eaten as it's present in almost all tarantula species, although not "purposely".

Most of the times a male can get away, it's only a slim chance he won't. My male H. himalayana got eaten because he wasn't patient enough to lure out my girl and instead went into her burrow to get into position and got snacked. :bag:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
There's always a chance a male tarantula will get eaten whether the chances are likely or slim, the risk is still there. That's why it's up to the breeder to make sure things can go as smoothly as possible by feeding the female to prepare for breeding and ensuring the male gets in and out fine. There's no set species where males get eaten as it's present in almost all tarantula species, although not "purposely".

Most of the times a male can get away, it's only a slim chance he won't. My male H. himalayana got eaten because he wasn't patient enough to lure out my girl and instead went into her burrow to get into position and got snacked. :bag:
I wonder if there has been any studies done if it is actually beneficial to the female and her egg production when she eats the male?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I wonder if there has been any studies done if it is actually beneficial to the female and her egg production when she eats the male?
If nothing else it's a substantial meal.

I wonder whether a male has ever actually ate a female in the wild? I know it's happened in captivity but obviously things in captivity are very different.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I wonder if it depends on the species as well. I have heard some are harder to breed than others.

In the wild it probably gives the female a better advantage of having a big meal before laying eggs. In captivity we can keep them well fed so I do not think it is needed.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

purplephilia

Arachnolurker
OP you are talking about males willingly being eaten by females, right? I think people aren't getting that. Interesting thought.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I don't think it is willingly (I think they lack the mentality for that). I don't think they know better and are being driven into danger by their desire to breed. I think the consumption of males, may indeed help the Moms and we see it less because we feed our Ts lots, and mores when we are trying to breed.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I always use them (and Mantis) as examples of how dumb men get when it comes to nookie "Dude, she's gonna eat you" "Yeah but I'm gonna get some!"

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
OP you are talking about males willingly being eaten by females, right? I think people aren't getting that. Interesting thought.
They TRY to make an escape if given the chance. If that was the case....they wouldn't

purplephilia

Arachnolurker
They TRY to make an escape if given the chance. If that was the case....they wouldn't
We all know that. I think the OP was wondering if males ever "purposely" DON'T try to run away (like some true spiders do). I was just pointing out that people were misunderstanding the post.

Last edited:

Braden

Arachnoknight
I don't think it is willingly (I think they lack the mentality for that). I don't think they know better and are being driven into danger by their desire to breed. I think the consumption of males, may indeed help the Moms and we see it less because we feed our Ts lots, and mores when we are trying to breed.
What about instinct? They do lack the mentality, but could it be like programmed into the spiders brain?

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Hey everyone! I was just watching the newest Dark Den youtube video(Mature Male appreciation video) and a thought came across my mind.
Are their any male tarantula species that after they have bred with a female, purposely get eaten by her after(I'm pretty sure some true spiders do this, like the black widow and some orb spiders). Just curious :)
Look, as far as I know they always try to escape from females. I dont think any male of any species will offer himself to a female. I mean, never seen any register about it. Interesting idea, though.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
What about instinct? They do lack the mentality, but could it be like programmed into the spiders brain?
I am guessing the instinct to breed overpowers their instinct to survive
and like most dudes every one is thinking "Yeah, but I'm the one who's gonna make it"