female to male ratio

dirk14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
have ppol recorded the female to male ratio in spider egg sacs.. are there likely to be more males or females? this would be an inrteresting study just wondering... wat circumstances would affect the sexes like studies on saltwater turtles "pawikan" in where temp determines sex... i have no idea at all with spiders :?

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would be interesting to see the ratio but I know myself and Wolfy as breeders never keep all the slings so unless you want to keep hundreds at a time and see what happens...it wouldn't be an easy task. If anyone decides to try this with L.parahybana....let me know..lmao cause I wanna shake your hand.

bigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering about that too but i might run an experiment but it is going to take some years. In later december of 06 i had two eggsac (G.rosea) and a month later i had 500+slings which i sold 200+ which leads me with 250+ slings left and i plan to do a sample of maybe 100 and see the sex ratio.

also i notice a difference in the size of the abdomens some are bigger then other which is strange since they are born at the same time and are kept at the same temp then they should be growing at the same rate?

dirk14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
maybe easier to stick with ones with lesser eggs... that would be an interesting study...

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also i notice a difference in the size of the abdomens some are bigger then other which is strange since they are born at the same time and are kept at the same temp then they should be growing at the same rate?
Some of the postembryos (eggs with legs) will actually feed on other eggs in the sac. That's why some of the spiderlings look bigger than others from the same sac.

I wouldn't want to be the one to keep hundreds of spiderlings just to figure out the sex ratio. Even if you did it you'd only know the ratio for that species (and probably only that sac).

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
And since it's autosomally determined, you'd find out it's about 50/50 after all that work.

A lot of people want to believe there's something going on to explain why they've got <insert undesirable sex ratio outcome here> beyond chance, but that's all it is.