Female P. imperator is getting pudgy

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I haven't fed her for a few weeks, but she's been gaining weight . . . I have a feeling she's going to pop soon! :D Any thoughts? I separated the male today. Wish me luck!

By the way, I know she shouldn't be handled when she looks this gravid . . . I have no self-control when I'm giving tours. :8o

zoom

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I haven't fed her for a few weeks, but she's been gaining weight . . .
I'm interested to know how she is gaining weight if she hasn't been feeding, has she been drinking a lot?.....almost sounds as interesting as Young's double slit experiment....:D Have you been weighing her, or is this a visual interpretation? How much does she weigh?

Good luck with the fecundity.

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never weighed her; it's just a visual thing. The general consensus I've read is that if they appear larger without feeding, they're getting ready to drop babies. (After taking a mass balances class, that doesn't make any sense, but it's what people have observed. :?)

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never weighed her; it's just a visual thing. The general consensus I've read is that if they appear larger without feeding, they're getting ready to drop babies. (After taking a mass balances class, that doesn't make any sense, but it's what people have observed. :?)
Yeah...its more than likely a redistribution of mass rather than a gain in mass from nothing, unless of course there is water being taken on board.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd hope so Mike, she looks rather large. I guess all you can do is hope, mine was mated in Sept. and she's definently been larger since then, but I'm still not entirely positive. Has yours turned cranky? Seems like over the last few weeks I can't so much as pick crickets out without her trying to sting the hemostats.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She's never been cranky, but my male is as pissy as ever. :D