Female in search of male?

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I mated my female B Vagans for the first time two days ago, with a male who had a little more experience. This evening I found not the male impatiently pacing about looking for a female, but the female crawling all over his tank (his is inside hers). I figured they must be up for it and removed the lids, but apart from some press-ups, drumming on his part and her casually strolling out of the tank and onto the desk they didn't seem to find each other.

Is it normal for a female to approach the male instead of the other way around? And what should I do if they are both willing? Take the lid off his tank every day? Every few days? Or even leave it off overnight?

I wasn't expecting her to take to the mating game so enthusiastically. Seeing as she is grouchy in every other respect I suppose I should be grateful I have come across an activity she is so keen on.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I normally don't do the shark tank method with brachys. Vagans like all brachys can have their moods. So here is what you should do, remove the tank that is in with the female. Wait till tomorrow night, then introduce the male in the opposite side of the tank from the female. Have something to defend the guy incase the female tries to murder him. From there just watch for that twitching you already saw, and sometimes the females will respond as well. When he closes the distance the female might turn quickly or respond to his drumming. Those are both good signs. Good luck man. Oh one more thing, once they hook up they may stay that way for a little while, in my experience Vagans will stay hooked up longer then most brachys. But watch for the females legs up top to start to move. They curl over the males and she seems to be waking from a trance. Thats about when you want to seperate them cause she is about to make a lunge at him.
Hope this helps some, good luck......

Oh one more think :D If the male and female dont pair up the first incounter remove him, and try again in an hour or so. Just keep trying multiple pairings a few at a time till they get it right. When was her last molt?

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Her last moult was on the 30th of July. She is very fresh. Tried for the first time two days ago, and it went extremely well (I think) - http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=101435

Last time he did all the moving in on her, so was a bit confused when today she started crawling all over his cage (she is now sitting on top of it) instead. He's not in a shark cage or anything. He's in a normal sized tank inside her tank, which is twice as big, so they have the same amount of space. Today is the first time (that I know of) she is showing interest in the cage. Could I have a sex-crazed female?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also different substrates and different density of packing and hydration should affect the drumming vibration propogation.... so sometimes they are drumming to each other but not *quite* getting the signals they need

i think really loose sub conducts drums less well than firmly packed sub which conducts less well than solids