Female B. smithi maturity?

complicz

Arachnopeon
Hey,
can someone tell me how to know that female b.smithi is mature? only by the size? or average number of molts? i am not so experienced, bud i would like to breed her. She just molted yesterday, but still in her hide so i cant measure her.
Thanks for all responses i appreciate every knowledge :)

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Females are sexually mature once they're spermathecae are fully developed "sclerotized", from what Ive read its best to wait until the female is a good 5'' to attempt to pair her with a male.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
For B smithi, I'd want the female close to 6" before I'd pair it up. Technically, it may be 'mature' at 5", but I wouldn't expect a sac at that size (she'd likely molt first), and if she would make a sac, odds are it would be small and with few viable eggs. There's no reason to rush it. A female close to full size has more resources to channel to egg development, and doesn't have to direct those towards her own growth.

complicz

Arachnopeon
Thanks man, i really appreciate your help. I definetly dont want to rush it, just gathering some info from more experienced people. I always get help here, so thanks a lot

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks man, i really appreciate your help. I definetly dont want to rush it, just gathering some info from more experienced people. I always get help here, so thanks a lot

What I hate to see is people that jump the gun and spend the money on getting an adult male, with a female that's barely mature. Those often lead to disappointment.

Two things Anastasia Haroldsen shared with me:
- Young females usually produce small sacs. She said she'd say to them: "What, that's it? This is all you could come up with?"

- She's unintentionally burned out females by breeding them 3 or 4 years in a row, and greatly shortened their lifespans.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Anastasia is awesome

Like others have said , which you have agreed with , slow and steady wins this race.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It'll take you some time to get a mature female, but breeding them comes pretty easily in my experience.