Female Avic question.

Pink T

Arachnopeon
I have a female Pink toe Tarantula that I received around February -March of 2019. I was wondering if she’s ready for a male. She’s near 5 inches leg length going from front left leg to the back right leg. I haven’t really been able to measure her sense she stays in her log. I also would like to know what y’all suggest I should use for a new tank, size, and the type of items I should put in it. Please I help me out.

Attachments

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
You can check her molt to see if the spermathecae has darkened..

Tanks I use are exo terra nano tall, 8x8x12.

Pink T

Arachnopeon
You can check her molt to see if the spermathecae has darkened..

Tanks I use are exo terra nano tall, 8x8x12.
She haven’t molted in a year any other way?? She hasn’t been showing signs of nearing it also.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
A 5" female Avicularia avicularia is likely to be sexually mature; they don't get much bigger than that.

12×8×8" is plenty of space for most Avics. Set then up with a vertical slab of cork and lots of leafy cover in the top half of the enclosure.

Pink T

Arachnopeon
At 5" its been mature for probably a couple years....although knowing the species is in fact pretty important.

Just make sure the housing is set up right...what you use is less relevant than the set up...the current set up is certainly less than ideal.

Here is an example of how you want an avic set up to look.

Ok and I got her around early 2018 and I had to put her in a bigger tank cause she was in an 8x8x8 which she was cramped and barely could move around without touching the glass. Can I cut the logs she’s in, in half? And lay it back in the 8x8x8?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok and I got her around early 2018 and I had to put her in a bigger tank cause she was in an 8x8x8 which she was cramped and barely could move around without touching the glass. Can I cut the logs she’s in, in half? And lay it back in the 8x8x8?
Larger setup is better as everyone mentioned.

If you want to do something else that is not recommended that’s on you.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
It sounds like she’s mature but I’d wait for a molt if at all possible. After halfway into a molting cycle (usually a yearish for adult Avicularia so 6 months is half) it’s not often successful and they molt out.

Pink T

Arachnopeon
It sounds like she’s mature but I’d wait for a molt if at all possible. After halfway into a molting cycle (usually a yearish for adult Avicularia so 6 months is half) it’s not often successful and they molt out.
Thank you! I have a lot of things ordered and I’m going to wait for her to molt now! It’s been around 4 months sense her last molt. Is there a topic page for me to find male avic for breeding loans?