Feisty post molt?

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
I’ve been keeping for 15 years and until yesterday I’ve never had a T try to “attack” me so soon after a molt. My big LP finally molted (after being in premolt since January this year) on the evening of May 24. When I tried to remove the molt (not for sexing, I already know what SHE is lol) she whipped around in s deliberate and predatory manner.

She was partially sitting on top of the stringy part that was once her old exo’s abdomen and carapace, and obviously the slight tugging that occurred set her off. Every other T I’ve been able to remove a moly from had simply walked away from the movements, helpless and soft as they are so they can’t fight back even if they wanted to. But this big girl wasn’t having that 🤣

Big and recently molted ad she is I know it’s gonna be a while before she’ll be able to eat again (I’ll give her the usual couple of weeks, maybe a third), which surprises me why she would do boldly leap towards what might’ve been a prey item. I don’t want to make her move any more than she thinks she needs to at this time so I’m going to let her hold on to her precious exo for the time being.

(Photo was taken some time after. She moved back to her current position)

Anyone ever have a snappy yet recently molted T?

Attachments

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
My B. albiceps gave me a threat posture after molting when I offered her food, trying to make itself look as big and imposing as possible to warn the food off. Mind you, this was a couple of weeks post-molt rather than a few days after (as you can see, her fangs are black here hence why I thought she'd be alright to feed... clearly she wasn't ready).

image_50424577.JPG

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They can change over time

Feed when fangs are black only, not based on some arbitrary time. Or your T might die

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I’ve been keeping for 15 years and until yesterday I’ve never had a T try to “attack” me so soon after a molt. My big LP finally molted (after being in premolt since January this year) on the evening of May 24. When I tried to remove the molt (not for sexing, I already know what SHE is lol) she whipped around in s deliberate and predatory manner.

She was partially sitting on top of the stringy part that was once her old exo’s abdomen and carapace, and obviously the slight tugging that occurred set her off. Every other T I’ve been able to remove a moly from had simply walked away from the movements, helpless and soft as they are so they can’t fight back even if they wanted to. But this big girl wasn’t having that 🤣

Big and recently molted ad she is I know it’s gonna be a while before she’ll be able to eat again (I’ll give her the usual couple of weeks, maybe a third), which surprises me why she would do boldly leap towards what might’ve been a prey item. I don’t want to make her move any more than she thinks she needs to at this time so I’m going to let her hold on to her precious exo for the time being.

(Photo was taken some time after. She moved back to her current position)

Anyone ever have a snappy yet recently molted T?
I leave the molt alone until my tarantula's exo hardens up. Once they move to a different position in it's enclosure after it has black fangs then I'll remove the molt. Sometimes they want to hang onto the molt for the moisture so I don't rush to take it.

Besides that sometimes it's impossible to remove a molt. My gbb webbed over it's molt so much that removing it would destroy alot of the webbing.