Feisty GBB

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I wanted to rehouse my GBB sling this morning. Oh my goodness, I guess I scared the little dear. He furiously flicked at my paintbrush. I left his small enclosure open and a bit tipped inside the new one. Then put the whole thing in a big bowl with a lid. Hopefully he'll want to explore on his own.
I have never found urticating hairs so cute!
Suggestions on rehousing slings would be much appreciated!

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
If they're in a bad mood I would just wait and try again the next day. If they're always in a bad mood then I don't know what to tell you.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I switched to a bigger paintbrush. That seemed to do the trick. He's in his new home. I'm sure he'll be more comfortable once he gets used to it, but for now he has earned the right to be left alone in the dark. I won't even touch his new enclosure to look at him until tomorrow.
Edit: I think the tiny paintbrush was small enough that he thought he could scare it away, but the bigger one was too much to handle and he backed away from it. Does that mean I have spider keeping instincts? Or maybe just animal keeping in general?

Last edited:

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
My MM GBB rarely flicks hair if I have to move him away from where ever I need to clean. Last night I had to remove the waterdish he was conveniently standing on so I brushed his rear legs and he turned around and put up a threat posture and near flipped himself over doing it. Only time Ive seen him flick hairs is when Ive fed him as a juvie

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
My MM GBB rarely flicks hair if I have to move him away from where ever I need to clean. Last night I had to remove the waterdish he was conveniently standing on so I brushed his rear legs and he turned around and put up a threat posture and near flipped himself over doing it. Only time Ive seen him flick hairs is when Ive fed him as a juvie
That's good to know. Thanks. I just can't get over how cute he is! All three of our slings are so adorable! If you've seen many of my posts, you might have figured out, I freakin' love cute!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wanted to rehouse my GBB sling this morning. Oh my goodness, I guess I scared the little dear. He furiously flicked at my paintbrush. I left his small enclosure open and a bit tipped inside the new one. Then put the whole thing in a big bowl with a lid. Hopefully he'll want to explore on his own.
I have never found urticating hairs so cute!
Suggestions on rehousing slings would be much appreciated!
Typical GBB, typical NW T for that matter (well most, not all have urticating setae). Google up bag transfer method.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Their setae is benign in my experience - it has absolutely no effect on me. Your mileage may vary.

I've never caught a spider with anything but a catch cup and a straw. With skittish T's like this, put the cup horizontally in front of the spider, taking care not to scare it. Then bump its abdomen with the straw. Since it's skittish, it'll run straight ahead and into the cup.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Their setae is benign in my experience - it has absolutely no effect on me. Your mileage may vary.

I've never caught a spider with anything but a catch cup and a straw. With skittish T's like this, put the cup horizontally in front of the spider, taking care not to scare it. Then bump its abdomen with the straw. Since it's skittish, it'll run straight ahead and into the cup.
How would you do that when the cup can't fit into the container? Then the cup is at an angle, above the T.

Bread

Arachnopeon
Be grateful all he does is flick at the brush, the little stirmi I got two days ago tries to attack it and run up it to attack me instead :p

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
How would you do that when the cup can't fit into the container? Then the cup is at an angle, above the T.
Smaller catch cup. Sorry if that sounds like a smart answer, I'm being completely serious haha

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I bypassed the catch cup completely and put the old enclosure into the new one. He had webbed it up so nicely, all the substrate stayed in place, so I could just nudge him out to his new home.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
My MM GBB will kick hair occasionally when I have to move him. I think it is pretty hilarious because of the size of his little butt, and he sticks it almost straight up when he kicks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Smaller catch cup. Sorry if that sounds like a smart answer, I'm being completely serious haha
Nope not at all. But some containers can't fit a cup at all, ie Thornton vials, and various size condiment cups. ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Nope not at all. But some containers can't fit a cup at all, ie Thornton vials, and various size condiment cups. ;)
Oh, we're talking about that small? Grab some tweezers, pluck out a clump of web/decoration, and put that into the new enclosure. Nine times out of ten, the sling takes a ride on that webbing and right into the new cup!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I never use paint brushes, they seem to feel like another animal and it's not uncommon for tarantulas to attack them, defensively or in feeding responses. I use 8" lollipop sticks. They won't break they're fangs on them like they can with metal, and they don't trigger feeding responses.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I have a paint brush rigged up inside of a 1/2 inch boba tea straw. My T's bite the straw sometimes.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My GBB's were my first much faster T's. It was like a circus on one of them. It did left turns and right turns and no straight ahead moves for a while. After I stopped trying (insert some patience) and waited for it to settle I put catch cups in all directions and got lucky.

I used a spare AMAC bottom to move all of my Avic's to their new homes. They will eventually go up. I now keep one spare of each size since I love Avic's.