Feeling sorry for live food.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Now I know, but I think it's interesting and this section gets the most traffic.

I fed one of my centipedes earlier (Scolopendra hardwickei) and got some pics.

This one really grabbed me as I could see a look of terror on the crickets face. Now we all know that a cricket can't physically express that look but to me it's there to see.

I know T's mash crickets up fast but have you ever felt sorry for one in particular?

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Well I never feel sorry for crickets, cause I don't like them. I do however sometimes feel bad for my roaches and actually experiences to this a little tonight. When I first got back into the hobby last month I decided to set up a dubia colony and quickly realized I actually enjoy my little colony almost as much as my Ts. But Ts gotta eat so some have to be sacrificed. As I was collecting some smaller nymphs I seen a juvie lying on its back and its legs were kicking. In its struggle to right itself it actually picked up a small piece of dog food and it began to spin it in circles. And all I could think of was this roach was trying to convince me not to feed it to something because it could do tricks.

Luckily for him the only T I have that would eat him and sealed himself off from the world so he was never in danger.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well I never feel sorry for crickets, cause I don't like them. I do however sometimes feel bad for my roaches and actually experiences to this a little tonight. When I first got back into the hobby last month I decided to set up a dubia colony and quickly realized I actually enjoy my little colony almost as much as my Ts. But Ts gotta eat so some have to be sacrificed. As I was collecting some smaller nymphs I seen a juvie lying on its back and its legs were kicking. In its struggle to right itself it actually picked up a small piece of dog food and it began to spin it in circles. And all I could think of was this roach was trying to convince me not to feed it to something because it could do tricks.

Luckily for him the only T I have that would eat him and sealed himself off from the world so he was never in danger.
I know full well crickets are bar stewards themselves. I used to often find crickets that had just shed that had been attacked by the other crickets. Half their head and their legs missing.

That pic though made me think (always dangerous). I've only ever felt sorry for the ones that end up getting eaten arse first by a mantis.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Prolly terrible way to die eaten arse first by a mantis. I'd put it right up there with a T falling victim to a Tarantula hawk.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Prolly terrible way to die eaten arse first by a mantis. I'd put it right up there with a T falling victim to a Tarantula hawk.
I'd say the T falling victim is the worse. Imagine feeling something feeding inside you. Plus the grub eats all the non vital tissue/organs first to keep the T alive and fresh.

If I'm able I'll squash a crickets/locusts head if it's getting eaten from the exhaust.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I know full well crickets are bar stewards themselves. I used to often find crickets that had just shed that had been attacked by the other crickets. Half their head and their legs missing.

That pic though made me think (always dangerous). I've only ever felt sorry for the ones that end up getting eaten arse first by a mantis.
I used to house crickets as feeders for some pets and will never do again. My brother used to feed live mice to his snake, that bothered me, hearing it especially.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I feel sad for the dubia males that have experienced abuse in the colony but that's about it. They always make me mad when I feed because if I miss the placement of the roach they always find the way to hide and is near impossible to take them out. Especially with my pokies and OWs where I don't really wanna stick my hand in too deep >< So when I manage to take them out I get satisfaction when they are eaten xD

basin79

ArachnoGod
I feel sad for the dubia males that have experienced abuse in the colony but that's about it. They always make me mad when I feed because if I miss the placement of the roach they always find the way to hide and is near impossible to take them out. Especially with my pokies and OWs where I don't really wanna stick my hand in too deep >< So when I manage to take them out I get satisfaction when they are eaten xD

I once had an adult male brown cricket lose in my bedroom. The little sod would sing every night and I used to get mad then spend ages looking for it. After what seemed like an eternity I had a right good look and pulled a drawer out. The little get was behind it.

That felt good when he was introduced to one of my enclosures. Ahhhhhhhh.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
What must be, must be, I have a Dubia Blaptica colony, they were bought as feeders and that's what they'll always be, I've seen a gravid roach giving birth whilst being eaten alive by ants, I did feel a little for the roach but as said they are feeders. I do feed and care for them well, as they will help my T's live a long healthy life.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What must be, must be, I have a Dubia Blaptica colony, they were bought as feeders and that's what they'll always be, I've seen a gravid roach giving birth whilst being eaten alive by ants, I did feel a little for the roach but as said they are feeders. I do feed and care for them well, as they will help my T's live a long healthy life.
Ants is a tad fierce. That is an unbelievably bad death unless they're a huge species. Hundreds of bites and stings.

I feed my ants small crickets that get took out with a sting pretty quick.

I'm not saying feel sorry for live foods all the time. Just instances where you did. I know the livefoods I keep have a much better life than the ones that are in pet shops in tiny plastic tubs. Often on the shelves for days.

I always buy far more than I, my pets need so they're like the vast herds of wilderbeasts on the African plains. Some won't survive but many do. Loads of my livefood dies of old age.

The only livefood that gets used entirely are locust as they're too bloody expensive.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've only ever felt sorry for the ones that end up getting eaten arse first by a mantis.
Yeah, that's not a good way to go.

My scorpion rarely stings prey (I've seen her do it once, that's it), I checked on her once after dumping a cricket in to find her sat there looking smug with the cricket's head sticking out of her mouth, I don't reckon being eaten arse-first by a scorpion is that pleasant either.

I've seen a gravid roach giving birth whilst being eaten alive by ants
Ants is a tad fierce. That is an unbelievably bad death unless they're a huge species. Hundreds of bites and stings.
I've seen a video where a dubia gives birth while being attacked by ants, being born prematurely and then stung to death is pretty bloody harsh.

I generally don't care for them too much beyond making sure they're kept clean, fed & watered though.

I genuinely hate crickets (especially males and their bloody chirping) so feeding them off was never a problem.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Oh yeah, everything my A. Geniculata eats. She wastes no time and creates the loudest crunch. It's really brutal.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, that's not a good way to go.

My scorpion rarely stings prey (I've seen her do it once, that's it), I checked on her once after dumping a cricket in to find her sat there looking smug with the cricket's head sticking out of her mouth, I don't reckon being eaten arse-first by a scorpion is that pleasant either.

I've seen a video where a dubia gives birth while being attacked by ants, being born prematurely and then stung to death is pretty bloody harsh.

I generally don't care for them too much beyond making sure they're kept clean, fed & watered though.

I genuinely hate crickets (especially males and their bloody chirping) so feeding them off was never a problem.
Silent crickets are fantastic. That's what I buy if I buy adults.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

I feed my ants small crickets that get took out with a sting pretty quick.

I'm not saying feel sorry for live foods all the time. Just instances where you did. I know the livefoods I keep have a much better life than the ones that are in pet shops in tiny plastic tubs. Often on the shelves for days.

I always buy far more than I, my pets need so they're like the vast herds of wilderbeasts on the African plains. Some won't survive but many do. Loads of my livefood dies of old age.

The only livefood that gets used entirely are locust as they're too bloody expensive.
....and to boot the just born nymphs were being carried away like little packed lunches......

Timc

Arachnosquire
My ex girlfriend who originally got me into the hobby decided she wanted to try to feed her old Rosie a pinky. Oh dear god, the scream still haunts me. I'll never have the heart to feed anything that blinks. I felt like a murderer for that one.

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
Only feeders I feel bad for are mice that get fed to spiders and centipedes. I don't agree with feeding them those.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I feel a little bad for the dubia, but it's outweighed by my happiness of seeing my Ts get a nice big meal.

The crickets? You mean those loud, smelly things that cannibalize all the time? Not so much. I give them to my toad and geckos too, no guilt.