feeding

grayskyisacat

Arachnopeon
my adolescent emperor scorpion wont eat and hasn’t in months. I’ve done everything from humidity, diet changes, and most everything in between- but he won’t eat or shed. help?

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
scorpion looks fine, temp is around 70 degrees
With fine you mean not fat? Being fat isn’t bad for a juvenile scorp. Just a sign that it’s in premolt, which can take a while for imperators. If it’s not fat, it’s not in premolt.
They aren’t always the best eaters, especially at such a low temperature. I would raise the temperature to around 80 F during the day. Otherwise it will rarely eat and barely grow.
Sometimes young imperators don’t like to take live prey, but will take prekilled.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
photo please.

70 is a bit on the cool side - not dangerous, but not optimal for metabolism. they will tend to be less active and eat less at this temperature.

grayskyisacat

Arachnopeon
With fine you mean not fat? Being fat isn’t bad for a juvenile scorp. Just a sign that it’s in premolt, which can take a while for imperators. If it’s not fat, it’s not in premolt.
They aren’t always the best eaters, especially at such a low temperature. I would raise the temperature to around 80 F during the day. Otherwise it will rarely eat and barely grow.
Sometimes young imperators don’t like to take live prey, but will take prekilled.
Thank you! yes, he’s not fat :)

delightcoma8

Arachnopeon
Thank you! yes, he’s not fat :)
I wouldn’t worry to much about the temperature, my emp’s enclosure is usually around 70-75 F and he is a great eater. Temperature does affect the scorpion’s metabolism, which can accelerates the scorpion’s growth rate. But try not worry about it to much. Try feeding him at night. I usually throw a cricket into my emp’s hide and he usually grabs onto the cricket almost instantly. Btw, my emperor is also an adolescent.