Feeding

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
6376ECC5-0C5C-4972-B149-7B900804784D.jpeg
Here’s a booty shot of one of my GBB slings.
Large abdomen, because its getting closer to another moult.

What I’m trying to say...apparently unsucessfully...is that you want to avoid overfeeding your tarantula. You want the sling to digest and metabolize its food intake at a constant rate.

If your sling isn't far from its previous moult and the abdomen is getting to be larger than the carapace, your overfeeding...you want to feed less or feed less often or both...it’s a balancing act.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The abdomen of the spider should be slightly smaller than the carapace
No, I often see this one perpetuated in tarantula groups on Wastebook based on how they look in the wild (by people forgetting that a lot of tarantulas photographed in the wild are half-starved).

What if it's abdomen is slightly larger than its carapace?
That's a healthy size, you want to keep the abdomen slightly larger than the carapace (I aim to keep it around 1.5x carapace size).

If your sling isn't far from its previous moult and the abdomen is getting to be larger than the carapace, your overfeeding
Slings can get as fat as they want, they have short moult cycles, put everything into growth when they do moult, and don't suffer from any of the complications seen in larger specimens that have been overfed.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Slings can get as fat as they want, they have short moult cycles, put everything into growth when they do moult, and don't suffer from any of the complications seen in larger specimens that have been overfed.
Good...Then I'm fine...

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
@JohnGwapo Please post pictures of the enclosure (from the top and the side). A picture of your T would be nice as well. :)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, I would be trying to escape as well... from that little prison. ;) Get her a bigger tub with a proper hide (cork bark buried in an angle) and loads of slightly damp substrate.
Also, get rid of the wet moss, it might be too wet in there for her. Slightly moist to almost dry substrate is fine.