Feeding

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon
Is it healthy for my Ts to have a diet of red runner roaches and superworms only? I'm Worried becuz most of the videos i've seen always recommend crickets as a main source of food but I only have superworms and red runner roaches... is this okay?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I only feed red runners and superworms and so far no complaints. ;)

I hate crickets, they smell, they jump and they die way too fast. :p

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
It’s fine to feed them a single type of prey item. But if you feel that a varied diet would be healthier, then pursue it.

In fact, you could feed 1 tarantula a single type of prey item only, and then on another tarantula feed it a varied diet and see if there is a noticeable difference.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Basically, any of the acceptable feeders are fine as a staple diet, even if you only had access to one type of feeder that would not be an issue.

In fact, you could feed 1 tarantula a single type of prey item only, and then on another tarantula feed it a varied diet and see if there is a noticeable difference.
There isn't, at least not in my experience anyway.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I feed, mainly crickets, superworms, mealworms, and roaches. Not because they need to eat a variety but because I have these on hand.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's fine to feed only one type of prey item.
Yeah, as long as you're giving your feeders a good diet then it doesn't really matter what you use, I have juvenile spiders that have eaten nothing but mealworms for their entire lives to date, as far as I can tell they're no less healthy than those that have been fed a mixture of dubia/lateralis/worms.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Yeah, as long as you're giving your feeders a good diet then it doesn't really matter what you use, I have juvenile spiders that have eaten nothing but mealworms for their entire lives to date, as far as I can tell they're no less healthy than those that have been fed a mixture of dubia/lateralis/worms.
I used to feed crickets...now I feed roaches.

Roaches are much easier with less odor. B. lateralis is my favorite roach because of the larger range of sizes from pinhead to large nymph.

For larger spiders I like the B. dubia roaches...though dubias tend to burrow in the substrate and play dead. I tong feed dubias to ensure that the roach is taken.

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon
I used to feed crickets...now I feed roaches.

Roaches are much easier with less odor. B. lateralis is my favorite roach because of the larger range of sizes from pinhead to large nymph.

For larger spiders I like the B. dubia roaches...though dubias tend to burrow in the substrate and play dead. I tong feed dubias to ensure that the roach is taken.
I have a Mature Fem Albo that my friend gave me about 3 days ago... Idont have dubia roavhes...is it okay to feed it multiple adult size B laterallis every feeding?

cold blood

Staff member
They DO NOT require huge meals....one red runner is just FINE.

Over feeding leads directly to excessive hiding, inactivity and very long fasting periods...there is NO advantage to feeding large meals.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Just crush their heads, you can also stop them from playing dead by shining a light on their heads, their aversion to bright light overrides their survival instinct

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon

Over feeding leads directly to excessive hiding, inactivity and very long fasting periods...there is NO advantage to feeding large meals.
Wow thankyou..itsthe first time I hear that

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have a Mature Fem Albo that my friend gave me about 3 days ago... Idont have dubia roavhes...is it okay to feed it multiple adult size B laterallis every feeding?
Let me try this again. Yes...you can feed more than one roach at a time. Feeding 1 roach is fine as well.

The abdomen of the spider should be slightly smaller than the carapace, so regulate feeding to maintain a healthy balance.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel

...informative as always.

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon
Let me try this again. Yes...you can feed more than one roach at a time. Feeding 1 roach is fine as well.

The abdomen of the spider should be slightly smaller than the carapace, so regulate feeding to maintain a healthy balance.
What if it's abdomen is slightly larger than its carapace?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
What if it's abdomen is slightly larger than its carapace?
Still fine, just cutback on how often you feed. If you are currently feeding once a week...start feeding once every two weeks or once a month.

It’s a balancing game when it comes to feeding.

cold blood

Staff member
yeah, thats not how tarantulas live and grow. As a t plumps prior to molting, the abdomen SHOULD be larger than the carapace.

The only way to keep the abdomen smaller than the carapace would be to starve the animal.

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon
Still fine, just cutback on how often you feed. If you are currently feeding once a week...start feeding once every two weeks or once a month.

It’s a balancing game when it comes to feeding.
It's also has an I would say "abnormal" behavior i guess... because Albo is a terresttial T right? Then why is it always on the side od the enclosure acring like an arboreal?HAHAHA I dont know why it does this... but I'm a little wotried about its behavior