feeding?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
ok guy just some questions i was thinking about when feeding my Ts

if you over feed can there bottoms burst (in lack of a better word)

if you feed alot more will they molt faster?

and is power feeding healthy for a tarantula (is it ok for slings too?)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'll be the first to say it...

If you search "over feeding" and "power feeding" you'll get a ton of results and discussions on the topics... you can read each side, and make your own conclusions :)

Feeding a lot will contribute to the molt cycle... as will keeping them warmer (from my experience)

It has been said that power feeding can shorten the lifespan of a tarantula because you are causing it to grow faster than it would normally...

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Not spontaneously, but being obese can make them more prone to injury.

Yes, especially with elevated temps as well.

This has been argued a lot, but I don't think there is evidence either way.
i second everything said here

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I powerfed both of my A. versicolor and B. smithi so they grew faster to sub adult and that they gained more bulkier bodies. Now they have less feeding times, like once every 14 days or so.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if you over feed can there bottoms burst (in lack of a better word)
No, a tarantula will stop eating if it is full, I haven't heard of abdomens bursting due to over feeding but also if you feed a tarantula that much that its abdomen is massive then if it takes a fall it will have a higher probability of bursting...

if you feed alot more will they molt faster?
Yes, power feeding does increase a tarantulas moulting cycle and will also therefore shorten its life span.

and is power feeding healthy for a tarantula (is it ok for slings too?)
I tend to power feed all my slings until they reach the juvenile stage and then I slow there metabolism back down again by feeding a them once a week or so (sometimes less depending on the tarantulas abdomen size) When power feeding slings I tend to feed them every 2-3 days.