Feeding Young D. Variegatus

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I received a D. variegatus who's eggs hatched in transit. She ate most of the babies and left the others behind in the container.

Out of the four she left behind, two have made it to 2nd instar. I talked to the guy I got them from, and he said that he didn't think that they ate until 3rd instar, and that they moulted in rapid succession.

Is this true? I have offered chopped up mealworm, and lobster hatchlings and I don't think they've taken either.

Any advice for these guys?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have two d. diadema, and neither of them will take roaches or mealworms for some reason. They just dont like them for some reason. I have to go get crickets as a special order for them. You could try small crix. I dont know about the 3rd instar thing, some people have raised Damon sp. so im sure someone here can help you out.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Interesting, because the adults seem to really dig lobster roaches.

I'll have to find some other tiny prey to try with these. It seems hard to believe they have enough of a store to make it through another molt without eating. :confused:

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My D. diadema eat only (!) crickets. Anything else that's walking in the box can be sure it won't be the meal... Ah, they use to eat some flies when I was ran out of crickets. Greets.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hmmm, perhaps these two species have different food preferences. I haven't tried crix with mine yet.

I have some spring tails in a millipede tank, maybe I'll try those.