feeding Ts

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
okay, i'd like to know how often everyone feeds their Ts. if you feed differently for different sizes, i'd like to know that also. basically, please humor me and answer these questions:

- how often do you feed?
- does this vary with the size of the T, if so, how?
- how much do you feed?
- when do you feed?
- do you powerfeed and how do you define this? (as opposed to how much you'd normally feed)

now, i know powerfeeding can shorten the lifespan, especially of a male T who will molt sooner to maturity and therefore shorten his days considerably.

however...without knowing the 'average' that most people feed and the frequency, i am concerned about my larger Ts. slings i know are powerfed at times to speed their growth.

i look forward to your responses. :)

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I feed my slings about 3-5 micro/small cric's per week. My larger T's get 2-3 large crics per week (sometimes they pass it up). I try feeding them every other day. I don't believe powerfeeding is possible without a good heat level - need that heat to kick up the feeding response and metabolism. I feed them in the early evening or anytime on the weekend. If you're concerned with your males, keep them in relatively cooler temps (low70's) and don't feed them as often - but, of course don't let the abdome shrivel.

Dario

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wow.

currently i keep all my Ts in the 75-80 range. basically, room temp. they are all thriving which makes me deliriously pleased.

wow. again, i have to restate it. ahem. :8o

i have in fact been feeding all my Ts around 2-3 crickets per DAY. lol. they happily devour them and seemingly lust for more as i am sure i see their little T eyes shining with desire every time i walk by to feed the geckos at night. ;)

um, yeah...so i guess i'll start feeding them less eh? yeah. :) thanks.

my slings however i will continue to feed daily, but perhaps not my B. albo (1 1/4" and 2" female and male respectively).

thanks for the feedback again, i appreciate it. can't wait to hear other responses as well.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about feeding your spideys too much. They will eventually stop eating. If you think that they are becoming too disproportionally big butted, you could stop feeding them too. Really, don't worry about it though. Worry if they become proportionally smallbutted.

I personally like mealworms as the staple diet of my t's. They come in Ittybitty, small, regular, large, and super! So you really can run the gambit as far as what you are feeding -- especially for terrestrials. I usually pinch their heads so that they don't burrow into the substrate or bite my spiders. For the itty bitty spiders, i still use 1 or 2 week crickets.

As far as arborials go, if I could have a good steady supply of moths that I knew were pestacide free, that would be my arborial staple. But for now, I use crickets.

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh yeah, it has been a really long time since I kept track of temperature/humidity.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I keep my slings in 80-85 and 70-80% humidity. These piggies were about 1/4" in February and now are almost 1-1/2". I attribute it all to the higher heat and steady feeding - just enough to maintain a plump rump (not a fat ass). These are smithi's, btw. However, the boehmei just will not eat as much, and thus is growing quite slowly, despite the hight temps.

My A. avic just molted - was 3-1/2" - it is holed up in it's tube web, so I have not been able to size it up or check for damage, but I think I see a pair of boxing gloves :mad: . Anyone need a stud!!!????:D

D

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think i'd agree with what most say - I keep all my slings slightly above room temp (80-85) with the use of a red reptile light, and feed them until they look TOO fat, or until i run out of crix and am lazy getting to the store.

If they're eating - keep 'em fed! Unless they become obese - that looks weird.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Tiny little slings... high humidity, 80F. I offer one pinhead a day until they stop eating... which is usually followed by molt. Two days after molt, I start offering again.

1 1/2" - 3" Sling-juvs - Same as above, but they get full size adult crix. I start offering med size crix at about 1". If they don't take it, I try again after next molt. You'll be amazed how many of the little guys can take down an big ole cricket!

Adults - 1 or 2 a day until refused. Wait a few days and do it again.

I pretty much let the Ts guide me, if they'll eat, I feed 'em! I'm not totally anal about schedules, they're well taken care of, if I forgot to feed them for a couple of weeks (yeah right!!) they'd be fine. The only thing I'm fastidious about is clean water and fresh sponges! (Only use 'em for the tiny guys to keep 'em REAL humid!!) AND, if the cricket is not eaten in an hour or two, it goes right back in the crix cage. I've had too many baby crix infestations to leave them in the tank unattended!!!:D