Feeding TINY jumping slings?

noivurn

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I found a female dimorphic jumping spider in my house a while back, and decided to keep her. I stopped seeing her after a bit and realized she'd laid an egg sac in her enclosure. The time has come and there are now a lot of itty bitty spiderlings! (Well, okay, only a few have hatched so far, but there will be more soon.) Now, however, comes the challenge of feeding them - I've never had pet spiders before, let alone slings, though I have been doing research of course. However, all the videos I can find regarding jumping spiderlings is for bold or regal jumpers, which are bigger than these little guys, and they seem intimidated by the wild-caught fruit flies I've offered, so I had some questions.

Should I try pre-killed fruit flies (or cut up roach or mealworm)? Will the slings eat prekilled food items if they don't have any live options? Would it be better to just leave the live flies in with them and see if they grow bold enough to take them?

Are they more likely to feed in individual cups, or in the big communal enclosure? Should I separate them now, or wait til they're bigger? A friend who has jumpers also suggested that they might eat better in pairs or trios, is that something I should try?

Would it be a better idea to try springtails? I have some... mediocre springtail colonies going. (I bought them and they were dying, I've managed to nurse them back to health but they're still not super plentiful.) How would I even go about feeding them springs?

I might think of some more questions, but I think that's it for the moment haha. Thank you in advance for your answers!

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are unlikely to eat pre-killed prey. Whether or not you separate them depends on how many of them there are. I’d recommend keeping them together until they cannibalize down to a smaller number. Springtails are definitely a good option, and they reproduce fast enough to be a self-sustaining feeder.

noivurn

Arachnopeon
@ReignofInvertebrates @MrGhostMantis Thank you for answering!

There are only four hatched at the moment, but there are definitely more still in the sac that have yet to emerge. How would I go about feeding springtails? I don't have a whole lot at the moment, so I'm not sure how I'd get them out and into the enclosure with the slings. Especially without just pouring a bunch of water into the sling enclosure, which obviously I don't want in case they drown themselves.

I had read that wc flies are smaller, but I thought they looked bigger than melanogasters. I may grab some melanogasters at Petsmart then. Those might be small enough, the mom is a very good eater so I'm hoping the babies will be too.

Edit: Why is it a good thing to let them cannibalize? Is it just for population control, or is there another reason?

Last edited:

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Unless you have no other choice don’t let them cannibalize, the reason would be that you wont have to feed them and eventually you would only have to feed a few, if you found the female in your area I would just let them go and keep a manageable amount. It is cruel to let them eat each other just because you have nothing to feed them. Once you let them go and keep a manageable amount I would use those springtails.

noivurn

Arachnopeon
@Lucky123 Thanks for the insight, I may end up releasing some. For now there are only a handful, though, so we'll have to see how many I get total.

I'm unsure just how to go about feeding them the springtails, though - should I just put some charcoal with springs in there and hope they find them?? I'm worried they'd never end up seeing them.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
I don’t really know how many springtails you have. It should be ok if you just knock A bunch off of the piece of charcoal. If you have substrate they might be able to hide but if you use enough I don’t think this should be a problem.

noivurn

Arachnopeon
As an update: The spiderlings are happily chowing down on their springtails! So cute to watch the little ones hunt.

Noah J

Arachnopeon
They can eat pre-killed prey as long as they haven't been dead for a long time.

hibiscusmile

Arachnopeon
looks like I just had a mega hatching, hope the springstails do the trick. The spring tails look bigger than the babies.