Feeding time?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Well, here it is:

My scorpions have not eaten much. I have two 3rd instar Rhopalurus junceus and two 2nd instar Tityus bastosi. One of my R. junceus has not eaten in about two weeks, and none of the scorpions seem like they are going to eat any time soon. None seem like they are about to molt, too stressed, etc. The temperature/humidity is fine.

I just received the T. bastosi about 3 days ago, but I have had the R. junceus for about 2 months now. The R. junceus have eaten twice I think, but not in a while. Can anyone explain this, and when do you guys usually feed your scorpions (day or night)? I have tried both and they won't eat.

I'm not trying to rush them or anything, just making sure they are doing alright. Thanks for any help.:)

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What are your temperatures like? And How big are the prey items you're offering?

Lower temps give them a slower metabolism and they eat much less often.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I have been keeping my temperatures 70-90 degrees Fahrenheit. To be more specific, it is usually 80-85 degrees.

I have heard that R. junceus, and most scorpions for that matter, can tackle prey items larger than themselves. Most of the food items (crickets) are the same size of the scorpion at the largest, with some slightly larger for the R. junceus.

The T. bastosi are incredibly tiny, and I'm careful when I feed them. Also, since I have not had them for that long, I have not tried feeding them that much, so I think they are fine at the moment. I am mainly concerned about the R. junceus. Can anything explain this and can anyone give "tips" about how I should feed them and the T. bastosi?

Thanks!;)

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both species will easily take any prey items their size or smaller. If they are not eating, just leave them alone for a week and resume feeding.

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my R. junceus doesn't have any feeding problems, i just put its prey after i got home and at first seems to run away from it, then after sometime it is already busy munching its catch while clinging to a branch.

try giving it smaller prey then leave it for a while (mine seems to attack after turning off the lights temporarily) or try other prey item

hope to hear good results from your lovely stingers

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feed all my scorpions weekly, but they do not always eat. I always feed during the day as this is there inactive period, that's more practical, because the scorpions will not be superalert.

It can be temperature related, because the colder it is, the slower their metabolism. Rhopalurus and Tityus species should be kept between 24-30 celsius, 30 Celsius is the max, 28 would also be fine.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I feed all my scorpions weekly, but they do not always eat. I always feed during the day as this is there inactive period, that's more practical, because the scorpions will not be superalert.

It can be temperature related, because the colder it is, the slower their metabolism. Rhopalurus and Tityus species should be kept between 24-30 celsius, 30 Celsius is the max, 28 would also be fine.
Wouldn't feeding them at night be the better time to feed them? They are, as you know, nocturnal and besides just wandering around, they hunt at night.

I think that 28 degrees Celsius is 80 degrees Fahrenheit, isn't it?

Thanks for the help.;)

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Wouldn't feeding them at night be the better time to feed them? They are, as you know, nocturnal and besides just wandering around, they hunt at night.

I think that 28 degrees Celsius is 80 degrees Fahrenheit (or around that), isn't it?

Thanks for the help.;)

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Well, sorry guys, but one of them ate. However, I will retain the knowledge that I have gained here. It will be very useful later on. Thanks!;)

I am excited that one ate though.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I think that 28 degrees Celsius is 80 degrees Fahrenheit, isn't it?

Thanks for the help.;)

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I think that 28 degrees Celsius is 80 degrees Fahrenheit (or around that), isn't it?

Thanks for the help.;)
Well, I gave you a reason why I feed during the daytime, so that question is kind of retorical. :D I prefer not to feed them during the night and they will also catch prey during the day when hungry, so it isn't much of a big deal when you feed them...There are conversion (F-Celsius) tables online, I just did not felt like using that when I posted this. :D

Most scorpions do not actively hunt and are so called sit-and-wait predators....and as you know they are not active on all nights. They occasionally walk around at night and when they encounter a prey, they might catch the prey, just as they would during the day. Scorpions are also opportunistic.

Not to flame or anything, but for someone keeping more experienced keeper species like Tityus bastosi, you are asking a lot of beginner questions.. you might want to buy some of the cheaper popular books, like that of Manny Rubio from 2008. That has a lot of handy info....

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Well, I gave you a reason why I feed during the daytime, so that question is kind of retorical. :D I prefer not to feed them during the night and they will also catch prey during the day when hungry, so it isn't much of a big deal when you feed them...There are conversion (F-Celsius) tables online, I just did not felt like using that when I posted this. :D

Most scorpions do not actively hunt and are so called sit-and-wait predators....and as you know they are not active on all nights. They occasionally walk around at night and when they encounter a prey, they might catch the prey, just as they would during the day. Scorpions are also opportunistic.

Not to flame or anything, but for someone keeping more experienced keeper species like Tityus bastosi, you are asking a lot of beginner questions.. you might want to buy some of the cheaper popular books, like that of Manny Rubio from 2008. That has a lot of handy info....
Well, first off, sorry about the question thing...I do have both of Manny Rubio's books and I look at Eric Ythier's and Jan Ove Rein's websites a lot...I guess I am just trying to be very specific and I like to hear other people's advice/experience. I am reasonably experienced, or at least it feels that way. I am very sorry.:(

Thanks for all the help anyway.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, first off, sorry about the question thing...I do have both of Manny Rubio's books and I look at Eric Ythier's and Jan Ove Rein's websites a lot...I guess I am just trying to be very specific and I like to hear other people's advice/experience. I am reasonably experienced, or at least it feels that way. I am very sorry.:(

Thanks for all the help anyway.
Hi,

Don't be sorry for asking questions :) I started to doubt your experience given the nature of most of your questions, but did not realize enough, you where "fact checking". Fact checking is good and always try to get your info out of multiple sources. All books have inadequacies or even errors....so does wikipedia..nothing wrong with asking....

Regards, Michiel

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Hi,

Don't be sorry for asking questions :) I started to doubt your experience given the nature of most of your questions, but did not realize enough, you where "fact checking". Fact checking is good and always try to get your info out of multiple sources. All books have inadequacies or even errors....so does wikipedia..nothing wrong with asking....

Regards, Michiel
Ah, that's reassuring...in fact I found a few errors in the revised 2008 edition of Manny Rubio's book...nothing much but even the slightest errors can lead to the biggest mistakes. You know what I mean. And I'll make sure that I am more careful. Thanks again.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, that's reassuring...in fact I found a few errors in the revised 2008 edition of Manny Rubio's book...nothing much but even the slightest errors can lead to the biggest mistakes. You know what I mean. And I'll make sure that I am more careful. Thanks again.
Maybe it's a good idea to start sticky errata posts for that book and "Scorpions of the World" (I saw it mentioned somewhere that it has errors as well).

Wrt feeding: I feed my scorpions way less often than most people here, maybe also because I see a lot of scorpions in the wild and most don't look like they eat weekly {D I also don't feed them every x days: sometimes I feed them twice in a fortnight and then don't feed them for a month (or more).

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Maybe it's a good idea to start sticky errata posts for that book and "Scorpions of the World" (I saw it mentioned somewhere that it has errors as well).

Wrt feeding: I feed my scorpions way less often than most people here, maybe also because I see a lot of scorpions in the wild and most don't look like they eat weekly {D I also don't feed them every x days: sometimes I feed them twice in a fortnight and then don't feed them for a month (or more).
Yeah, scorpions don't have a real routine for eating like humans, dogs, etc. have, even if they are babies.

I should check to see the mistakes in Manny Rubio's book and see if I am correct or if I was just confused one day.:D Don't want to accuse falsely.;)