feeding thawed pinkies

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do you just put em right on the substrate? or do i have to dangle em in front of my t? just gave a pinkie to each my rosea and parahybana, although none of them are reacting to the dead mice lying there..

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I find it best to drop them in the cages at dusk, and most time there eating them by dawn.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dropped in a cricket with each pinkie.. the parahybana took em both, but my rosea needed a bit dangling before accepting the pinkie :) they're gonna be F@t!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've only recently started doing this for fattening them up after a moult. I thaw them in a bowl of warm water and then just put them on the substrate near the T. If they're hungry, as soon as they touch it those chemoreceptors say, "yummy".

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yup, exactly what happened here too :) as soon as the spider touched it, it started webbing it up, readying for a snack

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yep, I just put it on the substrate. The only really stupid thing I did was to dangle the adult mouse in front of my A geniculata for about 1 billionth of a second. It didn't occur to me that he/she would just 'go for it' ...almost got my fingers instead :)

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wonder if there are some species that have better chemoreceptors than others. My G Rosea wont touch anything unless it is alive. She killed a hopper mouse last week but it had to be living. Some of my tarantulas seem capable of seeking out pinkies well while some dont.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
I wonder if there are some species that have better chemoreceptors than others. My G Rosea wont touch anything unless it is alive. She killed a hopper mouse last week but it had to be living. Some of my tarantulas seem capable of seeking out pinkies well while some dont.
For what it's worth, I've had the same experience. Some tarantulas just don't seem interested unless there's prey movement. Others (to use a favorite expression of my father's) will take anything that isn't red-hot or nailed down.

Joy

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes.. as i said, i had to dangle it in front of my rosea.. and she (i hope..) was still leery to touch it.. had to really piss her off with it ;)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dropped a dead pinky 4 or so inches away from my a.geniculata (juvie, 4 inches) and withing 3-5 minutes she had picked it up and taken it into her pot to eat it. Within a couple hours it was gone without a trace. That is the first time i ever tried feeding vertibrates, and was after a molt. worked for me!

Mark

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
I That is the first time i ever tried feeding invertibrates, and was after a molt. Mark
so, what you are saying is..you don't feed your spiders...unless they molt???!!!!! LOL!

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
nonononono, i skrewed it up. it is the first time i had ever fed a vertibrate to my t's, and it was after a molt that i did so! I feed my a.geniculata 5-6 crickets a week and my b.smithi 2-3 crickets a week and pinkies after molts.

Mark

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
nonononono, i skrewed it up. it is the first time i had ever fed a vertibrate to my t's, and it was after a molt that i did so! I feed my a.geniculata 5-6 crickets a week and my b.smithi 2-3 crickets a week and pinkies after molts.

Mark
I know...I was just taking advantage of your typo, cuz I thought it was funny ;)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yah LOL i dont blame you. I pretty much clearly and blatently stated that i do not feed my spiders unless they are fortunate enough to molt hehe.

Mark