Feeding suggestions...

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Hey all. Just want to know what you guys reccomend as a feeding schedule for some slings that I am going to be ordering. The slings are A. Genic 1/4", L. Parahybana 3/4", and P. Cambridgei 3/4". I plan on feeding them flightless fruit flies, and then small crickets when they reach 1". How often should I feed them, and how much should I feed? Thanks in advance.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Cut small crickets. Fruit flies have almost no nutritional value for tarantulas, keep them to mantids.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Those sp. are voracious, fast growing T's... I typically feed slings crickets every other day until they refuse as they put the majority of the weight they accumulate into growth.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i feed my tiny slings prekilled crickets every day till premolt. once they're 1" they can pretty much handle any size live cricket.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Definitely pre killed crickets or mealworms. Fattens them up really fast. I tried fruit flies once, it was a pain.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As many as they will eat. One at a time until they stop eating
My H. gigas sling molted last week. I gave it 3 crickets this week, which should be enough until it molts again.

Last edited:

DeanK

Arachnosquire
I offer my really small slings food every day. If they refuse I remove it the next and try again a few days later

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Also, anyone know where I can get some 25 and 50 dram vials? I have looked around a lot, but haven't had much success finding them individually, aside from one site. Where do you guys buy yours? Thanks

Estein

Arachnoknight
Fruit flies are a bear to deal with--even flightless, they jump like nobody's business. I offer a mealworm (crushed head) every day. If it stays a full day without being eaten, I remove it and wait another couple days before offering again.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I will drop as much as they will take in one sitting every day until specimen is around 2"

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I had just recently aquired some slings. Just feed them probably a cricket their size or smaller every day until they stop eating. If they do this for a week, then it's probably premolt. They can eat so much mire than the adults, they want to get out of sling stage to be intimidating and not as fragile. Trust me, whether you feed them every week or every day they will eat. They might grow slower though depending.