Feeding Slings

wignowski85

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, this is my first time owning a T and it's a Mexican Red-knee sling. I love arachnids and have always wanted to own one. It arrived about 8 hours ago and is still super lethargic. It will move its legs when slightly bumped but I feel like I don't want to mess with it for awhile. I read that it can feed on anything as big as its body length. If you get a termite that's flying around outside to feed it with is that safe or is it certain types of crickets? Any insight on raising slings from the experienced and experts would be greatly appreciated.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Stop touching.

Don't feed it anything from outside.

Rule of thumb is the prey item should be the size of the spiders abdomen. If the cricket/mealworm/roach is too big....slice it!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm concerned that you describe it as being 'super lethargic'. Were the temperatures good when it was received? Do you think it was exposed to extreme temperatures for any length of time? I wouldn't expect them to be acting normal, but I have never received a spider that I would describe as being 'super lethargic'.
Mealworms are your best bet. You can cut them into whatever sized chunks that you need and they can be kept alive for months in the crisper portion of the fridge (don't forget the airholes). They are your most economical choice if you only have one spiderling.
Please post photos of your setup and spider when you can.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys, this is my first time owning a T and it's a Mexican Red-knee sling. I love arachnids and have always wanted to own one. It arrived about 8 hours ago and is still super lethargic. It will move its legs when slightly bumped but I feel like I don't want to mess with it for awhile. I read that it can feed on anything as big as its body length. If you get a termite that's flying around outside to feed it with is that safe or is it certain types of crickets? Any insight on raising slings from the experienced and experts would be greatly appreciated.
Contact the seller, lethargic is never a good sign. if you can touch a sling w/a probe and it dosn't noticeably react - bad sign. Doesn't mean it's going to die- had some like that but eventually became right as rain through no efforts of my own other than providing droplets of water for them to drink.

This isn't a good sign though.

I dont feed Ts insects from outside because they can have parasites and maybe toxins as well.

wignowski85

Arachnopeon
Stop touching.

Don't feed it anything from outside.

Rule of thumb is the prey item should be the size of the spiders abdomen. If the cricket/mealworm/roach is too big....slice it!
Thanks man

I'm concerned that you describe it as being 'super lethargic'. Were the temperatures good when it was received? Do you think it was exposed to extreme temperatures for any length of time? I wouldn't expect them to be acting normal, but I have never received a spider that I would describe as being 'super lethargic'.
Mealworms are your best bet. You can cut them into whatever sized chunks that you need and they can be kept alive for months in the crisper portion of the fridge (don't forget the airholes). They are your most economical choice if you only have one spiderling.
Please post photos of your setup and spider when you can.
If I lightly bump it its legs will move and he is changing stance but not really moving around or anything. Temperatures were normal and the sub was moist. thanks for the advice of the mealworms

Contact the seller, lethargic is never a good sign. if you can touch a sling w/a probe and it dosn't noticeably react - bad sign. Doesn't mean it's going to die- had some like that but eventually became right as rain through no efforts of my own other than providing droplets of water for them to drink.

This isn't a good sign though.

I dont feed Ts insects from outside because they can have parasites and maybe toxins as well.
Thanks for the insight

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Could you please post pictures of your sling and its whole enclosure?

Thekla

Arachnoprince

wignowski85

Arachnopeon
The spider did not come in a vial? It was in that large container during shipping where it could bounce around? May I ask where you placed the order?
Backwater Reptiles from Cali

I would definitely rehouse your sling in a smaller cup, a 2oz deli cup for example.
It looks plump and healthy, so, don't worry about feeding right now. A proper enclosure is way more important. :)

Please read this thread: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/
and I also recommend watching @Tomoran's sling guide on Youtube:

Thank you! I will check it out. I just checked on him and he has his legs tucked in but they will slowly move if lightly touched, but no walking. Also seems like maybe ready to molt?

Attachments

ErikElvis

Newb
I learned of backwater reptiles rep after I purchased 2 slings from them. Luckily they seem perfectly healthy.

wignowski85

Arachnopeon
The absolute worst place that you could have chosen. Their reputation is horrific. I don't know what to say, but I really don't feel too optimistic about this.
Oh no really? It was a gift so it was my buddy’s money unfortunately.

The absolute worst place that you could have chosen. Their reputation is horrific. I don't know what to say, but I really don't feel too optimistic about this.
I named him Strider from Lord if the Rings so hopefully he will survive and endure like the Dunedain Ranger. 😳

cold blood

Staff member
Im always amazed at people who know enough to come here for help, but not enough to research the seller before buying.

Seeing how it was shipped (no one else on the planet would ship so incorrectly), i will be quite surprised if it survives long term. It frankly doesnt look good.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Never buy from a business with "reptiles" in the name.

I named him Strider from Lord if the Rings so hopefully he will survive and endure like the Dunedain Ranger. 😳
I think it is a goner. Your buddy got ripped off. He should demand a refund. Totally the seller's fault for shipping like they did.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I just want you to understand what happened.

First off, Backwater Reptiles has a horrific reputation.

But I'm still sort of in awe in the way they've shipped because somehow they've been around for a long time.

A proper spiderling shipment comes in a very tiny vial. Inside the vial is a wet piece of tissue paper for hydration purposes. Along with a place for the spider to hold onto, and to make the vial the complete opposite of the bouncy castle yours was shipped in. It is then placed in a box with peanuts, newspapers, etc. so it STILL can't move around even though it is in a tiny stuffed vial.

What they did hear is the exact opposite. That spider was literally bouncing around for the better part of a day.

Absolutely unbelievable.

I tell you this so you and your friend have an idea of what to say if you decide to contact them and at least have an understanding of proper and improper shipment.

How is the little guy doing today? The fact that it was not DOA says a lot about spiders and yours in particular. A true soldier. Keep us posted.

Regards,

PETE

wignowski85

Arachnopeon

But I'm still sort of in awe in the way they've shipped because somehow they've been around for a long time.

A proper spiderling shipment comes in a very tiny vial. Inside the vial is a wet piece of tissue paper for hydration purposes. Along with a place for the spider to hold onto, and to make the vial the complete opposite of the bouncy castle yours was shipped in. It is then placed in a box with peanuts, newspapers, etc. so it STILL can't move around even though it is in a tiny stuffed vial.

What they did hear is the exact opposite. That spider was literally bouncing around for the better part of a day.

Absolutely unbelievable.

I tell you this so you and your friend have an idea of what to say if you decide to contact them and at least have an understanding of proper and improper shipment.

How is the little guy doing today? The fact that it was not DOA says a lot about spiders and yours in particular. A true soldier. Keep us posted.

Regards,

PETE
Dude thank you so much for the replies. I wrote Backwater this:

“My ordered baby tarantula arrived alive but it's very lethargic. It's not crawling around and only slightly moves its legs if gently touched. This is my first ever sling and it was a gift so I feel very unprepared of its needs. I've read extensively and watched youtube videos of care suggestions but I wanted to understand more about the 7-day guarantee because people on an arachnid thread say it may have been shipped in too large of a container and might not make it. If it dies in the 7 days does that mean I get a replacement animal? Thank you.”

They replied: “
As you may already know, the shipping process is known to trigger molting in Tarantulas. It happens constantly. Be sure not to disturb her even the slightest as they are extremely sensitive during this time. I would place her in a dark, quite room, and mist the enclosure lightly to be sure there is plenty of humidity and moisture for the molt and then check on her in a few hours or tomorrow. Please know your honesty is not in question, we just want to be sure we're giving her a fair chance :)

What is your honest opinion?

Im always amazed at people who know enough to come here for help, but not enough to research the seller before buying.

Seeing how it was shipped (no one else on the planet would ship so incorrectly), i will be quite surprised if it survives long term. It frankly doesnt look good.
Yeah, it was a surprise from a friend but I don’t know how much research he did, obviously not enough.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Dude thank you so much for the replies. I wrote Backwater this:

“My ordered baby tarantula arrived alive but it's very lethargic. It's not crawling around and only slightly moves its legs if gently touched. This is my first ever sling and it was a gift so I feel very unprepared of its needs. I've read extensively and watched youtube videos of care suggestions but I wanted to understand more about the 7-day guarantee because people on an arachnid thread say it may have been shipped in too large of a container and might not make it. If it dies in the 7 days does that mean I get a replacement animal? Thank you.”

They replied: “
As you may already know, the shipping process is known to trigger molting in Tarantulas. It happens constantly. Be sure not to disturb her even the slightest as they are extremely sensitive during this time. I would place her in a dark, quite room, and mist the enclosure lightly to be sure there is plenty of humidity and moisture for the molt and then check on her in a few hours or tomorrow. Please know your honesty is not in question, we just want to be sure we're giving her a fair chance :)

What is your honest opinion?
Honestly? You shouldn't have wrote about being inexperienced and played it off like WTF DID YOU SEND ME? Because now I feel like they'll put the blame on you should it pass.

Shipping triggering moulting is hillarious if you even know the absolute basics of moulting. It happens when the tarantula gets too big for its exoskeleton. Shipping in no way speeds up that process. Not to mention a sling in premolt should NEVER be shipped!!!

Now because it has a VERY fat rump. It MAY be in premolt. And leaving it in a dark room with moisture probably IS the best idea regardless of whether or not it is in premoult. So DO do that. But don't mist it. Put some water in the substrate, making sure some droplets are very close to the tarantulas mouth.

Leave it alone for a few days. Don't bother it with food, it surely doesn't need it. Just make sure it has water as the shipping process tends to dehydrate them. I think that would give you your best odds at this point. I'd expect the worst and hope for the best. Good luck!!!!!

AND STOP TOUCHING IT!!!

cold blood

Staff member
As you may already know, the shipping process is known to trigger molting in Tarantulas.
This is a lie, shipping doesnt trigger molting, thats absurd and illustrates their lack of general tarantula knowledge.
It happens constantly
Only if you are shipping pre molt specimens.

Their response garners one big face palm.

I hope it survives, because i suspect they will deny any refund if it dies.

This is what a shipping container should look like...substrate should never, under any circumstances, be in a shipping container.

20170410_141312.jpg

wignowski85

Arachnopeon

Absolutely unbelievable.

Regards,

PETE
I just checked on him and he has turned since I last saw him this morning.