Feeding skiddish Asian Forest scorpions

Josh McClellan

Arachnopeon
Hi Community! I have a pair of Asian Forest Scorpions (allegedly, one looks more like Cavimanus as time goes on) and they are super-paranoid. If one of them is eating a worm and I turn on the lamp in my room, it tends to drop food and head for the burrow . If I drop food in front of them, they assume this awesome phalanx pasture and ignore the food for a long time to fixate on the space that my hand occupied. How do people on YouTube get scorpions to eat in a brightly lit room and from tongs/tweezers at that? Not that I plan on streaming them. Just trying to understand my babes.

Ive considered the possibility that I just offer food too often but don't want them to go hungry. The point I'm slowly getting at is that I rarely observe them eating and am worried that one of them is depriving the other one of it's dinner on the regular. Are there any obvious signs or behaviors when Spinifer/Longimanus/Cavimanus is hungry? I've read that they are "more predatory" when hungry but how does one evaluate that behavior in a Scorpion Lol. I usually offer a large mealworm to each one every 2 days. Both bugs are adults. Should I slow down? Thanks all.
Edit... Ive made it a point to never handle them unless it's essential and to never change the appearance of their environment. Hoping that helps them mellow out.

Last edited:

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a pair of Asian Forest Scorpions (allegedly, one looks more like Cavimanus as time goes on) and they are super-paranoid. If one of them is eating a worm and I turn on the lamp in my room, it tends to drop food and head for the burrow .
Hello, If you are unsure about them being the same species and they're housed together this could be stressing out the scorpions.

The point I'm slowly getting at is that I rarely observe them eating and am worried that one of them is depriving the other one of it's dinner on the regular. Are there any obvious signs or behaviors when Spinifer/Longimanus/Cavimanus is hungry?
Most of the time you can tell when a scorpion is full just by looking at them. if there's gaps in between the stripes on their backs and they're looking bigger that's a good sign the scorpion is full.

Josh McClellan

Arachnopeon
Hello, If you are unsure about them being the same species and they're housed together this could be stressing out the scorpions.

Most of the time you can tell when a scorpion is full just by looking at them. if there's gaps in between the stripes on their backs and they're looking bigger that's a good sign the scorpion is full.
I've also wondered this. They rest on top of each other most nights and have never seen them duke it out. Though that could have nothing to do with it. Thanks for the advice on the gaps. Will keep an eye out.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
You could try an infrared light if you have some extra cash and want to experiment. You should still be able to see the scorpions when using this light and they are not effected by it and should not get spooked. These lights do generate heat so just take that into consideration as well.

Last edited:

Pipa

Arachnoknight
I've never had any Asian Forest drop their food on me , lol ... they just go running around with two crickets in each claw and a ball of two crickets in their mouth !

Josh McClellan

Arachnopeon
You could try an infrared light if you have some extra cash and want to experiment. You should still be able to see the scorpions when using this light and they are not effected by it and should not get spooked. These lights do generate heat so just take that into consideration as well.
I recently picked one up. It stays pretty warm in the tank so use it to spy from time to time but that's it. If I can get past this giant dinner I just ate, will clean their tank tonight and upload some pics.

Josh McClellan

Arachnopeon
20160712_205047.jpg 20160712_205055.jpg

They are in a plastic bin that I house them in when I clean their tank out. They look okay? Health-wise.