Feeding Routine?

Creepy Crawling Guy

Arachnopeon
im wandering how much should i feed a centipede ?

once a week?
twice? thrice? everyday?

im asking so i will schedule it to allign the feeding routine for my scorp

how long they can go without eating?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep both Scolopendra subspinipes and Scolopendra polymorpha. I usually feed them roughly once every week to week-and-a-half, same as my tarantulas and scorpions - but they can go a bit longer in between meals. When I'm out of town, they may go two weeks or just a bit more between feedings - in which case I just feed them really well before I leave and again as soon as I get back.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
When my Scolopendra subspinipes try to escape, reaching the top of the enclosure, well... I know it's time for at least two fat B.dubia males (she seems to love more males, mah) then, after, she returns under the cork when she remains for a good 1/2 weeks :-s

Mine went without food for months, she was gravid.

My rule is to offer food to adults when they are out (mostly at night).

RTTB

Arachnoprince
One or 2 crickets a week or so is what I feed my S polymorphas.

Creepy Crawling Guy

Arachnopeon
I keep both Scolopendra subspinipes and Scolopendra polymorpha. I usually feed them roughly once every week to week-and-a-half, same as my tarantulas and scorpions - but they can go a bit longer in between meals. When I'm out of town, they may go two weeks or just a bit more between feedings - in which case I just feed them really well before I leave and again as soon as I get back.
When my Scolopendra subspinipes try to escape, reaching the top of the enclosure, well... I know it's time for at least two fat B.dubia males (she seems to love more males, mah) then, after, she returns under the cork when she remains for a good 1/2 weeks :-s

Mine went without food for months, she was gravid.

My rule is to offer food to adults when they are out (mostly at night).
One or 2 crickets a week or so is what I feed my S polymorphas.
thanks guys this really help a lot , basically if they increase their activity its feeding time?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks guys this really help a lot , basically if they increase their activity its feeding time?
Yeah, if you see them actively hunting, it means they're hungry - but even when I don't see mine out running around, they'll tackle crickets, given the opportunity.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
To me (for adults) yes. Otherwise I respect the 'pede privacy, lol, since mine loves to pet-hole when her 'belly' is full. So no point IMO in throwing preys inside :-s

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, if you see them actively hunting, it means they're hungry - but even when I don't see mine out running around, they'll tackle crickets, given the opportunity.
I am a new Scolopendra polymorpha owner...and so a little nervous about making sure I do things right. I gather from this thread, that if it doesn't surface, I can safely assume it's not hungry, and just wait until I see it hunting to feed it.
Will it ever hunt during the day, or exclusively at night?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am a new Scolopendra polymorpha owner...and so a little nervous about making sure I do things right. I gather from this thread, that if it doesn't surface, I can safely assume it's not hungry, and just wait until I see it hunting to feed it.
Will it ever hunt during the day, or exclusively at night?
Mine will occasionally hunt during the daytime, but they are definitely more active at night. While they do hunt when they are hungry, sometimes - if they are scared or stressed - they will stay hidden when you are nearby, even if they are hungry. They are sensitive to bright lights, loud noises, and strong vibrations.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You say that like having more than one is odd? :p
its sort of inside jokey, in the other thread, centipedes and humidity two functions, he referred to tropical species as advanced, and basically denoted that not only does he actively look for polymorpha but provided information only for polymorpha, so its kind of jokey, and, sort of, like, this idea that hes got this chicken coop of polymorpha, theres nothing wrong with it

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Generally, I feed my pedes (by hand as a matter of fact) every week or so, with variation depending on the size of the prey item.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
In addition, don't use the activity of the centipede as the sole means for determining when to feed it. Most of my pedes wander around practically every night, and it certainly wouldn't be healthy to feed them that frequently, regardless of their activity.