Feeding 'roaches..

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just curious -

Do you crush the dog / cat pellets, or serve them whole?

How often do you feed / check on your colony? :?

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cheers A!

Nice article that. Have already purchased a coffee grinder for the dog/cat food. (Have loads of 'roaches en route!) {D

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I give the kibble whole, but I mist it with water so it softens up and its easy to chew, but I remove any uneaten food the next day so no mold grows.
And I also add in various fruits and veggies.

Aquanut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to powderize the food, but it gets eaten just fine whole. I heard of many who wet the food but i don't check on them for several days sometimes and worry about mold. I mostly try to check often enough to not run out of water crystals usually every 2-3 days. I use a variety of cat, dog and fish foods. I add fruits and veggies 2-3 times a week.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I mix dog food into my wet food. It works beautifully.

I also water once a week and I seem to have everything just right. My colonies are starting to explode :)

cliff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I grind mine in a coffee bean grinder and check daily. I feed a lot of fruits and veggies. I have also found that my B.dubia LOVE fish flake food, which I had heard from roach breeders was not usually the case.

Cliff :)

Aquanut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ditto on the fish food with my Discoids. They seem to prefer flakes although they will eat any kind Ive offered.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Thanks, guys! :D

I seem to have lost the last of my B. dubia males, but I do have Nymphs, so unless in-breeding is a problem...I should be OK!! {D

Thanks for those tips, and keep 'em coming...