Feeding roaches to centis

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello :)

I wanna know if its good to always feed roaches (hissers in exemple) to centipedes, or is it bad because of their exosquelleton?

I don't really love centipedes, I'm more into millipedes than centipedes, but the more I read and see on centipedes, the more I'm interested of getting one.. But if I get one I wouldn't want to feed him/her crickets, as I always give crickets to 4 other animals and cricket cost me so much.. I would do a hisser colonny for a centipede..

If the answer for the first question is yes, how many 1inch 1/2 and under hissers a month should I give to a centipede of 2" and up?

Thanks, Frank

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, it's fine to feed roaches to pedes - they go right through the exoskeleton and into the good, squishy parts without issue - but they don't each that much more than a tarantula. Maintaining a roach colony for a single pede is what is known as overkill unless you're also just looking for an excuse to keep a roach colony in addition to a centipede.

Second, a 2" pede is not going to be able to eat a 1.5 inch hisser, a hisser of that size is quite the meal for a 6" or larger pede. I don't think you really want to be feeding anything more than 20% or so of the pede's body length as prey.

Last, I'm not the most experienced pede keeper, but I try to see that they get a decent sized meal offered about every 1.5 weeks.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, I wanted to get some hissers to keep as pets, but I didn't want to breed them.. and if I was going to breed them I needed something to keep the colonny under a certain number..

Thanks for the informations :) Frank