Feeding regiment

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I asked this before I think but I want to double check.

When it comes to feeding my GBB (C. Cyaneopubescens) that is 1" and my Antilles Pinktoes (Avicularia versicolor) that is 1.25" should they be on small crickets or pin heads? and what do i do if they need pinheads and my pet store only sells small and adult crickets?

Does anyone on here use LLLreptile for tarantula grub?

I already know that since my trinidad chevon is 2.5" he can eat adult crickets so I'm all set with him.

ribnum

Arachnopeon
crix

it is good to feed them crix... its a great source of protein... just dont forget to feed your T 1/4 of its size to avoid hurting and stressing your T when feeding...although some Ts eat food which is larger than them.. but dont risk your pet...

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At one inch or larger, you should not have any problems feeding them small crickets. Pinhead cricks just wouldn't be enough. They'ed have to eat 6 or more at a time to get anthing out of them. Anythings possible as far as an injury goes but you can go larger than 1/4 of the size of the T with hardly an risk to the T. I've fed adults to my 1 1/2 T's before with no problems. I tried to get the small one but they were out.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can go larger than 1/4 of the slings size with no danger but never larger than the sling. Yes, the risk of injury increases the larger the T's prey is. 1/2 or 3/4 is what I usually go by. They can handle that size just fine and they only need one at a time.

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
At that size small crickets will be fine. Most pet stores don't carry pinheads, like Petco. Either way, with terrestrials you can always dismember the crickets and give them a leg and such.

However, aboreals are hunters and rarely eat dead prey. So go get some small crickets and a hatchet if necessary.

Just kidding. ;P

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Personally with GBBs... I'd dare feeding them a small dog :D (IF they are really hungry!) But ofcource better safe than sorry.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I just fed my 1.25" versicolor a small cricket it was in there with him for a while and just crawled around it and ignored it... I went in there right now I noticed the cricket was kind of smashed up against the the side of the jar. So at first I thought the cricket might have just crashed into the side of the jar for whatever reason. then I seen that it was too many inches off the ground to be walking and then I seen the Versicolor near it. and then I looked closer and the versicolor had killed it and basically glued it to the wall and was still spinning a mini web to hold it in place. then he went to work on the head and started eating....I've never seen a spider do something like this up close to me its really amazing. I have a lot of pictures so enjoy them all some are more clear than others but pictures are pictures. Some of these pictures are taking from behind the vesicolor and some in front of it..

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes...feed them small crickets. ive used LLL reptile on several occasions for several reasons/products. i think they are great!!! good customer service, cheap prices, great products. etc. etc.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard that you shouldn't feed them anything larger than their abdoman.
That's a good rule of thumb but there are some T's that will attack about anything at any size. You want to be sensable but after the tiny sling stage, you can start to let them have a little fun with more sizable prey. I'd say around 3/4 of an inch to an inch in size would be a good time when you don't have to be so cautious.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been feeding my Slings small dead crickets. I cant find anyone near me that does pinhead/micro crickets. All, even the A. genic has had no trouble with them. All I do is take out any leftovers after 12 or 24 hours.

Once bigger I'll put the small crickets in alive!!

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
That's a good rule of thumb but there are some T's that will attack about anything at any size. You want to be sensable but after the tiny sling stage, you can start to let them have a little fun with more sizable prey. I'd say around 3/4 of an inch to an inch in size would be a good time when you don't have to be so cautious.
With crix I'd still be a bit careful, but if you were to go with for example tartara roaches I'd just hit it. The mandibles is what makes the difference, unless the type of feeder isn't a very strong digger (thinking of the strength of the legs), that's the only business end they have.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With crix I'd still be a bit careful, but if you were to go with for example tartara roaches I'd just hit it. The mandibles is what makes the difference, unless the type of feeder isn't a very strong digger (thinking of the strength of the legs), that's the only business end they have.
True, especially if for some reason the T is not at it's best. Maybe an injury you aren't aware of and the descent sized crick can take advantage of it.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How many crickets exactly is a juvenile Hysterocrates gigas suppose to have in a week