Feeding Question

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
My N. chromatus sling has been refusing pre-Killed food for 3 weeks and he just molted tonight. I know it's recommended to wait 1-3 weeks before feeding post-molt or until Fangs harden...but what about 1/8 inch tiny slings like my N. chromatus? Does the same rule apply?

I only feed him pre-Killed as of now due to his size, obviously.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
With slings is different, their chelicerae harden quickly. I wait 15/20 days, in general, for adults only. A sling after 5/6 days can eat.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd look and see if it's abdomen is plump. If so it's fine. Just make sure it has access to water.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
With slings is different, their chelicerae harden quickly. A sling after 5/6 days can eat.
Quicker than that, my E. cyanognathus ate less than 24hrs after completing a surprise moult (put in pre-killed mealworm, checked next day to find it sat next to its exuvia chomping on the mealworm).

To the OP: I usually give slings 3-5 days before offering a freshly moulted prey item.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Quicker than that, my E. cyanognathus ate less than 24hrs after completing a surprise moult (put in pre-killed mealworm, checked next day to find it sat next to its exuvia chomping on the mealworm).
That's not really a good idea since their fangs are probably still soft and susceptible to breaking quite easily.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's not really a good idea since their fangs are probably still soft and susceptible to breaking quite easily.
It wasn't intentional and there wasn't really much I could do about it at that point, it surprised me with a moult, it had eaten just 3 days before so I had no reason to assume it was in premoult, I put the dead feeder outside its web tube and checked back 24hrs later to find it had moulted during the night and was halfway through eating the thing.

I could've gone all Harry Endfield's "Angry Frank" on it and said:

"Oi! You! Noooooo! You're not supposed to eat for another 3 days, what if you break your fangs? I don't care if you're the product of millions of years of eight-legged murder tanking evolution, I know how you're supposed to Tarantula better than you do, you muppet, give me back the bloody mealworm and go back into hiding."

But it'd be a bit pointless :troll:

cold blood

Staff member
My N. chromatus sling has been refusing pre-Killed food for 3 weeks and he just molted tonight. I know it's recommended to wait 1-3 weeks before feeding post-molt or until Fangs harden...but what about 1/8 inch tiny slings like my N. chromatus? Does the same rule apply?

I only feed him pre-Killed as of now due to his size, obviously.
3 days and a little chromatus wil be ready to eat. They have one of the shortest recovery times I have seen as slings (Psalms and N. incei are among others).

clive 82

Arachnoknight
It wasn't intentional and there wasn't really much I could do about it at that point, it surprised me with a moult, it had eaten just 3 days before so I had no reason to assume it was in premoult, I put the dead feeder outside its web tube and checked back 24hrs later to find it had moulted during the night and was halfway through eating the thing.

I could've gone all Harry Endfield's "Angry Frank" on it and said:

"Oi! You! Noooooo! You're not supposed to eat for another 3 days, what if you break your fangs? I don't care if you're the product of millions of years of eight-legged murder tanking evolution, I know how you're supposed to Tarantula better than you do, you muppet, give me back the bloody mealworm and go back into hiding."

But it'd be a bit pointless :troll:
Nearly spat my coffee out laughing. Gotta love Harry Enfield.