Feeding question

jennafuller

Arachnopeon
I have done a few searches and have read through different threads, and I just haven't been able to find my answer.

Is it possible to overfeed a tarantula, or will they stop eating when they're satisfied? I have three slings now, and none of them have ever refused a meal. I assume that if they eat it they're hungry, but I don't want to damage them.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey,

As far as I know slings will eat pretty well what ever you give them while they're growing but after a certain Instar; (don't ask me which one I'm still learning with my slings), they assume average tarantula feeding habits if you inforce them. (ie. a few crickets a week)

As for over feeding, there are some species which will eat what ever comes their way because they're used to a feast and famine environment, and others which will just eat because its there, and ones like my G. Pulchra which only eat once a week regardless of how much or little you feed them.

From what I've read you can't really over feed, but you can feed a tarantula to the point where it's abdomen is so swollen it is much easier to rupture. You could call that being obese.

This is best avoided because if the tarantula falls while climbing it is more easily ruptured.

Now wait for the grizzled ancients to jump in here and listen to them.

I should also add, it is called "power feeding" when you intentionally provide the tarantula with more food than usual in order to cause it to grow faster.

PS: welcome to the boards.

Last edited:

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
What t sp slings do you have, most slings will eat as long as it's available, but not all t's are the same, it is as bobusboy said, if their abdomen is overly swollen, they are more likely to rupture if they should fall.

And t keepers new to the hobby tend to overfeed their t's, mainly for the reason that it's the only interaction that you have with your t. We tend to worry too much...

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
It should probably be said that uneaten prey items can do more harm than good when left in the enclosure. Make sure you remove any uneaten prey items and try offering again later. And welcome to the boards!!! There are some really experienced people on here that can help a great deal!!! (some day I hope to be one of 'em :D)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey,

As far as I know slings will eat pretty well what ever you give them while they're growing but after a certain Instar; (don't ask me which one I'm still learning with my slings), they assume average tarantula feeding habits if you inforce them. (ie. a few crickets a week)

As for over feeding, there are some species which will eat what ever comes their way because they're used to a feast and famine environment, and others which will just eat because its there, and ones like my G. Pulchra which only eat once a week regardless of how much or little you feed them.

From what I've read you can't really over feed, but you can feed a tarantula to the point where it's abdomen is so swollen it is much easier to rupture. You could call that being obese.

This is best avoided because if the tarantula falls while climbing it is more easily ruptured.

Now wait for the grizzled ancients to jump in here and listen to them.

I should also add, it is called "power feeding" when you intentionally provide the tarantula with more food than usual in order to cause it to grow faster.

PS: welcome to the boards.
That pretty much covers it very nicely

jennafuller

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys!

I owned a Rosie for 4-5 years and in that time span it fed like 3-5 times. So when I got my slings (1 A. versicolor and 2 B. vagans) I made sure they were a spider that "eats" because I didn't want another pet rock.

I don't think I'm overfeeding...quite honestly I feed when I remember (I live 20+ minutes from a pet store, so buying crickets aren't just right down the road...and 3 crickets hardly make it worth ordering in). I didn't know if I had to regulate their feeding or if they'd regulate themselves. I had seen posts on "obese" spiders, but I wasn't sure if that was the type of food, the quantity of food, or the number of times it was fed.

So, if I read everything right: Don't worry about overfeeding my slings. Just keep an eye on their abdomen to make sure they're not endanger of rupturing if they fall. Otherwise, if they eat let them eat.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its all about balance. If they're just slings feed them like crazy to get them up in size IMO. Then relax on the feeding schedule to 2-4 crickets (or other feeder) a week unless you want them to grow much quicker.

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
So, if I read everything right: Don't worry about overfeeding my slings. Just keep an eye on their abdomen to make sure they're not endanger of rupturing if they fall. Otherwise, if they eat let them eat.
You got it. :) And even the ruptured abdomen thing is a long shot scenario.. IME, you really have to power-feed them to get to the point where that would be a concern.