Feeding question.. sort of

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
This may be my dumbest question to date so please forgive my lack of knowledge on this. But here goes. Because of the area we live in we have a few bugs, specifically German roaches. They particularly like the bug room cause it's warmer and more humid than the rest of my apartment. I hate these nasty guys but I wondered if it wasn't all that bad. Could i use these as food for my scorps or slings. They're free and easy to find, hence why I ask. Plus the younglings would be the perfect size for the new slings. I just have no idea if they're aggressive or carry any diseases. there's no poison in my house so I wouldn't have to worry about one of them ingesting it and being eaten by my critters. Again probably the weirdest question I've had to date. Lol

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not worth the risk. You have absolutely no idea what they might have been exposed to. Worse case your pets die for the sake of you saving a very small amount of money.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Yeah German roaches are nasty. I would try to kill them off. Not sure how you could do it safely without harming your t's. If you can find there lair you could kill them off. I had that issue before I started keeping t's and successfully got rid of them. You live in Georgia so you will probably just have to live with them. I would probably just buy some bait traps to keep their numbers down

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Yeah German roaches are nasty. I would try to kill them off. Not sure how you could do it safely without harming your t's. If you can find there lair you could kill them off. I had that issue before I started keeping t's and successfully got rid of them. You live in Georgia so you will probably just have to live with them. I would probably just buy some bait traps to keep their numbers down
Yes living in Georgia and the area I live in they are pretty common but very nasty, I kill them whenever I see them and even had found old traps in the apartment so I take it, they are part of this apartments structure. Just a joke lol. I had wondered if I was wastefully killing a few and could be using the small ones as food. But these are nasty so I understand it wouldn't be safe. Unfortunately the local shops don't carry the proper roaches. (I haven't checked online) I'll stick to small crickets or Dubai's. Hopefully they have interest, they are really small, and I may even try a small mealworm cut up and see if they eat or scavenge it.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I ordered some b lats off of Amazon before. Still have them. I despise crickets cus they tend to escape when I open the tank and then my wife yells at me. She's deftly afraid of anything that can jump. She's fine with t's somehow

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
I ordered some b lats off of Amazon before. Still have them. I despise crickets cus they tend to escape when I open the tank and then my wife yells at me. She's deftly afraid of anything that can jump. She's fine with t's somehow
Exactly why I don't want to use crickets as feeders I have two esacpe this room now. And I take it b lats are the proper roaches used for feeding.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Instead of your landlord using nasty chemical to eliminate the roaches ( if he does?) You should get a reward eliminate them by giving them to your tarantulas! But seriously, as people pointed out, they may have come in contact with pesticides. I wouldnt dare feeding them away. Even if it would be perfect

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Instead of your landlord using nasty chemical to eliminate the roaches ( if he does?) You should get a reward eliminate them by giving them to your tarantulas! But seriously, as people pointed out, they may have come in contact with pesticides. I wouldnt dare feeding them away. Even if it would be perfect
That's what I thought, I have a banana spider by a storage room outside I've dropped a few in it's web and its like punishment for both of them for being here. Although I think the spider has the best experience. Lol although I don't feel this is safe for my slings. Just not worth it. Imo

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
B lats are fast but they can't jump. I just have a hard time grabbing them sometimes.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I don't know a lot about roaches due to them basically being illegal in my country but I have read that german roaches can be a real issue due to the fact that they will establish a colony in your house if loose.

I would definitely avoid all wild caught prey items as that can lead to dks symptoms.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Not sure how you could do it safely without harming your t's.
Sticky traps, I use them to deal with any lats that manage to get away from me (I had a load of nymphs escape last year, it's not hot enough for them to breed if they do make it to adulthood but I still don't want them running around the house).