Feeding question for Gbb juve

u bada

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

New to T's, Acquired 3 a few weeks ago, so far so good. I posted a pic of my euathlus sp tiger in gallery, as well as my sling avic... but also have a gbb juve, probably around 2-3".

Was reading a thread here about someone's with an abdomen looking a bit small and that it could be fed more. Mine's abdomen actually looks a bit small so while I've fed it only once a week prior, after reading that thread, I gave mine additional cricket a few days ago, feeding day is friday. I'd post a pic but she's totally skiddish. She was hiding for first week, and just started webbing her tube just recently and is now a bit braver. Overall it seems the species doesn't have as bulbous of an abdomen as other species, perhaps comparable to leg length, so not sure...

Anyway, I've read they have good appetites overall, although some members told me on my pic posting of my chilean tiger that I could only feed that guy once every 3 weeks +/-, or it'll do the chilean fasting bit. Obviously GBB's aren't chilean T's, but just wondering what feeding schedule I should do considering her abdomen is a bit small, then what schedule would work long term in general for this species.

thanks!

u

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Fasting is not an issue of Chilean tarantulas. Any tarantula can fast at any time for any reason. It's just that the arid species seem to do it more readily. Your spider is probably fine, don't worry so much.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. You could have saved yourself those two paragraphs by just posting a picture :p

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My GBB goes through phases. I feed him about once a week now and sometimes he'll take it, sometimes he won't. Sometimes I feed him twice a week if he's looking skinny or waiting at a certain part of his hide because I know he's looking for food. You're correct about their abdomens not getting as fat as other species' but dehydration can cause them to shrivel as well. Make sure it always has water. Post a photo if you're worried.
My GBB fasted for over a month once and it wasn't premolt and I hadn't been feeding him excessively prior. He just decided he wasn't interested in food.
Is yours a confirmed female? Females do get a little chunkier looking than males.

u bada

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys...

@EulersK, yeah if I could get clear pic I would! She's literally just been chillin in her tube area, and its walls only get thicker...

@Paiige, breeder confirmed it was a female, only confirmed one of the batch, she was also the feisty one of them, too!

So 1/week for this species if she'll take is fine?

I'll say, definitely the whole idea an animal doesn't have to eat all that much is really what makes rearing T's a totally different thing in itself...

She came out of her tube last night so if she ventures a bit further tonight I'll try to get a pic...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
GBB do have a great appetite. However, they are also still a species from arid lands where food is not regularly available. This usually means that regularly feeding in captivity will lead to a fasting period, or a long premoult stage, maybe even more reclusive behaviour.

Everyone has different opinions and different schedules for their own Ts. I usually feed my desert/arid and obligate burrowing species less often. It keeps them out in the open more.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I fed mine (mine died from DKS early last year) roughly once every 1-2 weeks, give or take. Never had any problems rejecting prey, unless premolt. Make sure to keep a full dish of water in its enclosure. These guys are beautiful heavy webbers (one of the reasons I wanted one). You may get lucky if you check on it in the wee hours of the night with a flash light, or red light. Most t's come out at night to "play" :p

u bada

Arachnopeon
Ok she came out for a bit and rested on glass, to get the shots I had to move the enclosure a bit and then she ran in her tube... so hopefully these help. loralei.jpg loralei belly.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ok she came out for a bit and rested on glass, to get the shots I had to move the enclosure a bit and then she ran in her tube... so hopefully these help.
I wouldn't worry; she looks healthy to me.

I feed my GBB sling 1-2 times a week depending on abdomen size and how she is behaving. (If she's sitting motionless at a particular spot on the edge of the web, she seems to be in hunting mode.)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't worry either. Her abdomen is a little skinny but doesn't look shrivelled or wrinkly and that's what's important. Just feed her once or maybe twice a week if she'll eat.

Mine was suuuuuper skittish when he was little but has relaxed as he's gotten bigger. Still a spaz and kind of a jerk, but definitely less skittish.

u bada

Arachnopeon
These guys are beautiful heavy webbers (one of the reasons I wanted one). You may get lucky if you check on it in the wee hours of the night with a flash light, or red light. Most t's come out at night to "play" :p
Yeah this species is seriously of the most beautiful- the colors, the webbing, which is why I had to have this one if I was going to have T's at all... she wasn't webbing too much in the beginning and ever so slowly I wake up and more has been built on to her tube. I too go and check on them if wake up in the middle of the night... and funny I've never seen her actually web! when does she actually do it i have no clue!

Thanks to all for the fast replies... really appreciate. So I guess I was right to think she's a bit skinny, but glad she appears ok to you all. Tomorrow is feeding day anyway (although now guess that schedule is out the door with all of 3 of them) so I'll give her something tomorrow, she has been out this evening and I have a feeling it's because she may be getting used to her new dive and now is getting hungry.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
She's not skinny enough for you to need to worry.

Mine is (judging by the hints of green in the carapace of yours) only one instar (moult) ahead of yours and her abdomen always looked more slender compare to my other terrestrials, I was feeding her once a week and she ate up until a week before her latest moult, just carry on feeding once a week and make sure she always has a full water dish and she should be good.

u bada

Arachnopeon
Thanks @theGrymReaper, yeah I was also thinking maybe young ones tend to look skinnier overall... can't wait till the legs get super blue, that kind of blue in nature is f*n amazing...

She just keeps building on her tunnel and hangs out more beyond the hide, a change in a matter of a few days, such a cool species... course, it's also much warmer right now.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
No worries, they sometimes look horrendously skinny after a moult until they've had a couple of meals, mine moulted 3 weeks ago and is starting to fatten up to a normal size.

(Not the best pic, she was being somewhat uncooperative lol)

DSC00001.JPG

u bada

Arachnopeon
@theGrymReaper, thanks, great photo, she looks like character and a half! I sorta remember the breeder telling me mine had just molted, maybe I should ask him...

So she ate today... I just dropped a cricket on her tunnel and she ran for a second and then when I walked away for literally a minute she had apparently grabbed it and started munching. I waited for days to see her go for a cricket too... oh well, have the next how many years to see her eat I suppose...