Feeding post molt question

Philthy87

Arachnopeon
My T. albo sling just molted for the first time with me on Tuesday. It is approximately 1.5in DLS. How much longer should I wait until I try feeding? I've read it can be as little as 3 days for slings but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Any insight would be appreciated.
Edit: spelling

Roger Gan

Arachnopeon
you can wait for their body and fangs to harden first then feed them but 3 days is also fine

Last edited:

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i always wait a week unless i can see that its fangs are black again before feeding

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My T. albo sling just molted for the first time with me on Tuesday. It is approximately 1.5in DLS. How much longer should I wait until I try feeding? I've read it can be as little as 3 days for slings but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Any insight would be appreciated.
Wait a week. No hurry, it is not gonna starv to death if not fed soon enough. Much better letting it hardens alright. Giving it water is MUCH more important postmoult, especially for slings

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
I had a 1" gbb break a fang off feeding after 4 days so I always wait at least 1 week now even for my little guys. :)

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
CD381835-30D9-4746-975C-5D9C0F8B6BB8.jpeg

Following a moult, a spider’s fangs are very vulnerable to damage if they feed to soon. Once the fangs turn black, it’s safe for the spider to go after prey items. It takes about 6 to 7 days (or less) for most slings. Adults can be weeks, post moult, before they are ready to actively take prey again.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a rule i use myself

Slings- wait a week

Juveniles- wait 2 weeks

Subadults and Adults- wait a month

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any time limits someone tells you are arbitrary. The only accurate method to feed a T post-molt is when the fangs are BLACK. Otherwise you run risk of fang damage/loss, and the T can die as a result of loss.

When you can't see the color for whatever reason than you should observe its body posture, abdomen size, and behavior. For example, if a droplet or two or water initiates a feeding response it's hungry. In the absence of knowing fang color and observing such behavior I wait days. However even then I'm taking a small risk in feeding my T. Sometimes I will provide pre-killed crix w/the head open (soft spot for eating) if I'm really concerned.

For adults, it's generally easier to see the color. I've had adults (5") wait well over a month, sometimes 2/ 2.5 months before they were ready to eat despite having black fangs much earlier than that.

I'm more conservative than most in feeding post-molt.

Last edited: