feeding my ts honeybees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are spiders that can change colors in relatively short periods of time - such as some of the crab spiders referred to as flower spiders. The color shifts are not food related though. There are also cases of spiders appearing to be differently colored due to the foods they've eaten - such as Loxosceles fed on pink bolworms turning a nice reddish color, or turning greenish due to being fed a green food source (don't remember right now what the green food was). But these were the result of pigments from the food source showing through the cuticle of the exoskeleton.

As to the idea of honey bees inducing color changes in tarantulas - I'm very doubtful, but willing to consider it. The exoskeleton of a tarantula is thick enough that I would not expect to see color changes through it, and there's no real mechanism for altering the colors of the exoskeleton itself.

archieph

Arachnosquire
my queen bee

For some reason that image is adorable to me...
u are adorable to me already!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

anyway, check this out, see who is troll now.. :embarrassed: my ts love them.. even tried eating one today, raw and alive.. :rolleyes: actually it's not that bad, it's quite sweet.. js like honey.. even my dog loves eating them when they go to floor, my black shepherd steps on it and eats it.. she learned it after she got stung on her toungue heheh funny.. but that didnt stop her.. :drool:

here is my food getting ready to be fed.. complete wid stings..

here is my first prey item getting ready to make vibrant my ts..

here is my diversipes enjoying its honey bee..

here is my versi(not the test subject) enjoying a honey bee..

here is my other diversipes enjoying honey bee..

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

js to inform u brfore i started mixing to my mix diet honeybees.. my diversipes looked a lot darker even after molting.. i js tot u should know ;P ;P ;P

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

my marshalli, its yellows became more vivid.. i am sure! ones it was large enough to start in the honeybee menu i gave it 2.. unfortunately as u all know.. they burrow and it kind snubs me.. i will get a snap shot of it eating a bee soon... ;P

Last edited:

archieph

Arachnosquire
thank god

There are spiders that can change colors in relatively short periods of time - such as some of the crab spiders referred to as flower spiders. The color shifts are not food related though. There are also cases of spiders appearing to be differently colored due to the foods they've eaten - such as Loxosceles fed on pink bolworms turning a nice reddish color, or turning greenish due to being fed a green food source (don't remember right now what the green food was). But these were the result of pigments from the food source showing through the cuticle of the exoskeleton.

As to the idea of honey bees inducing color changes in tarantulas - I'm very doubtful, but willing to consider it. The exoskeleton of a tarantula is thick enough that I would not expect to see color changes through it, and there's no real mechanism for altering the colors of the exoskeleton itself.
thank u sir for this post.. everyone here thinks im from looney town or something ;P ;P ;P

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thank u sir for this post.. everyone here thinks im from looney town or something ;P ;P ;P
Nah, just maybe a suburb. :D

Me personally I would be more afraid of introducing a parasite or chemical contaminate to my Avics because of the bees being from the wild, as say to items from a controlled environment (roaches, etc). My understanding, honeybees are having large issues of parasitic deaths around the world, so that alone would worry me.

Also, captive bred tarantulas in the hobby have not been introduced to many outside contaminates/parasites, and lack the proper immunity that wild species have. And even if the Avics were WC, they still would not have the immunity to foreign parasites that a honeybee could carry.

If you are having luck with feeding the WC honeybees, then thats your choice, but I would be worried about knocking off my entire collection if a there was a contamination or infestation. To me a free honeybee killing off a $125 dollar adult tarantula is not worth the risk.

Last edited:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me personally I would be more afraid of introducing a parasite or chemical contaminate to my Avics because of the bees being from the wild, as say to items from a controlled environment (roaches, etc). My understanding, honeybees are having large issues of parasitic deaths around the world, so that alone would worry me.

Also, captive bred tarantulas in the hobby have not been introduced to many outside contaminates/parasites, and lack the proper immunity that wild species have. And even if the Avics were WC, they still would not have the immunity to foreign parasites that a honeybee could carry.

If you are having luck with feeding the WC honeybees, then thats your choice, but I would be worried about knocking off my entire collection if a there was a contamination or infestation. To me a free honeybee killing off a $125 dollar adult tarantula is not worth the risk.
He knows the risks involved, he's going to continue as a matter of convenience and, I dunno, excitement? He has the bees on hand, he enjoys toeing the line, and he perceives some aesthetic improvement in his Ts as a result. Nothing we can do to change that; he's already seeing avic sling losses and still isn't ready to make changes. You have beautiful Ts bro, enjoy them and keep updating your pic thread so we can too.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He knows the risks involved, he's going to continue as a matter of convenience and, I dunno, excitement? He has the bees on hand, he enjoys toeing the line, and he perceives some aesthetic improvement in his Ts as a result. Nothing we can do to change that; he's already seeing avic sling losses and still isn't ready to make changes. You have beautiful Ts bro, enjoy them and keep updating your pic thread so we can too.
And him and some colony of bafoons "like" being stung by honeybees because it feels good. :barf:

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Assuming for a minute that this 'effect' is really happening, it would be interesting if you could see a similar result from using an alternative prey item that has been gut-loaded with bee pollen (or bees)...

Bill

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I kind of figured I was only exercising my typing fingers on that response, but I had to at least try. :p

archieph

Arachnosquire
something to think about

Assuming for a minute that this 'effect' is really happening, it would be interesting if you could see a similar result from using an alternative prey item that has been gut-loaded with bee pollen (or bees)...

Bill
i know wat il try to make ya'll happy.. and me worry less.. i could maybe add freshly harvested honey to it's water.. i js had to insert this... my hysterocrates hercules arriving next week, 3 of them!!!! oh yeah!!!! they will also include a mix diet of honeybees ahha also u guys think they really swim and hunt small fish?

honey benefits..
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/honey-nutrition.html

Last edited:

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know wat il try to make ya'll happy.. and me worry less.. i could maybe add freshly harvested honey to it's water.. i js had to insert this... my hysterocrates hercules arriving next week, 3 of them!!!! oh yeah!!!! they will also include a mix diet of honeybees ahha also u guys think they really swim and hunt small fish?

honey benefits..
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/honey-nutrition.html

Dude...I have proposed some ideas on this site before that others have questioned but are you for real guy? :rolleyes::rolleyes: This has to be the dumbest, most clueless, ignorant topic I have ever seen posted..:wall::wall:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dude...I have proposed some ideas on this site before that others have questioned but are you for real guy? :rolleyes::rolleyes: This has to be the dumbest, most clueless, ignorant topic I have ever seen posted..:wall::wall:
I'd venture to say that posting about intentionally creating hybrids and selling the offspring is dumber, more clueless, and more ignorant.

But that's just me.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd venture to say that posting about intentionally creating hybrids and selling the offspring is dumber, more clueless, and more ignorant.

But that's just me.
Not to get off topic but not selling them if I do get them...I already have an arachnologist willing to help me if I have success. So the slings won't go any further than the lab ;) But IMHO this idea is far fetched and it is clueless

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There are spiders that can change colors in relatively short periods of time - such as some of the crab spiders referred to as flower spiders.
Hmm. I actually thought my eyes were deceiving me on this one. I caught a species of crab spider off of my car one day in the only thing I had available;
a yellow and green tie-dyed type plastic Easter egg. After riding around with me the better part of the day I peeked in the egg and decided the spider had made itself at home as it had laid down some webbing. I decided to keep it in there for a couple of weeks, and the next time I checked it had appeared to change colors slightly. Whereas it had originally been yellow it now had a nice greenish coloration as well! I thought it was the lighting somehow, in the egg. Nice to know that could be possible.

I relocated it in my yard shortly thereafter.

Color change has not been properly documented in tarantulas between molts however, so I remain a skeptic.

jimip

Arachnosquire
what is the likelihood of honey being a decent gut load?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

i jsust wnat to try adn bring one good point out of all this. theres allot of everythign flying around in here

Status
Not open for further replies.